Muriatic acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rontrusi

Where is the most common place to buy HCl acid? I went to Lowes and bought some, but when I got it home I noticed that it was only a 14.5% solution! Are there a couple different locations inside Lowes where you can find it? I got this out in the garden area where the pool supplies are.
Is there anywhere else you can buy the 30% HCl...like Walmart or somewhere else common like that?

I buy mine at Lowes in the Garden shop. Two one gallon jugs of 31.45% HCl is just under $10. It's on a pallet stacked high with plain brown cardboard boxes of two jugs each.

Steve

Check the Lowe's paint department for concrete etch (watch it's not the phosphoric acid type), around here with the solvents.

If you have a Tractor Supply they also have it.

Though while so many products in all stores have shrunk in size, others may have taken to dilution to increase profits?

I got mine at Lowes in the Garden section as well....2 one gallon bottles for $9.99. But of course it HAD to be the wrong concentration!! I should have known something was wrong when everything was in Spanish. :(

The jugs and boxes I purchase are also covered in both Spanish and English, but the concentration is clearly marked 31.45%

Is is possible your label is missing the leading 3 in the concentration? This would make the label appear to read 1.45% concentration.

Just a guess.

Steve

I wish that's what it was! :cry:
Here's what I got....

[img:640:480]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/16/1269763/DSCN0225.JPG[/img]

we have a business in town that sells building block, rock and other supplies for cement, muratic is sold to clean cement, also most all hardware store's or lumber yards in town sell it. just keep looking, you will find sources in your area and which are cheaper.

edit: it can also be made from rock salt and sulfuric acid from napa
2NaCl + H2SO4---> HCl + Na2SO4 :edited

In my area it is running $7 to $8 per gallon. I tried Lowe's yesterday and couldn't even get to the pool section. Here it is outside the store in a fenced area. They had the door locked and there's 3 feet of snow out there. I finally found it in the paint section for $6.98 per gallon available in singles or 4 gallon boxes at the same per gallon price.

Sure wish I could find a cheaper place for this.

The masonry supply places are even more although they have good prices on lime to neutralize spent solutions.

Fix

Finally found some! Lowes & Home Depot only sell it at 14.5% concentration here in AZ...bummer! Just went to Pool supply stores & found it at 29% (should be close enough!)....$8.98 for 2 gallons.

Latest posts

Back