My AP cleans rust off/how to separate rust from gold flakes?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majni

Okay so I tried playing with AP, I used 18% HCL (I know it needs to be concentrated but I don't know which way to do it) and peroxide 3%. It worked as supposed but it took the rust off as well, didn't dissolve it just took it away and now I have to separate gold and rust. Any ways to separate them? Also any links for starters please?

18% HCL should work just fine.
More concentrated acid will work faster, but will also produce more chlorine gases.

Iron oxide dissolves in HCL. Why do you think it's iron oxide?
Is it actually your gold cemented out on the base metals? (brown powder?)
If it is FeO, just add HCL to the filtered residue. Your PM's and any copper traces will remain.
Martijn.

From my copy- paste list: 😉

Here are some links to help you get started.
Welcome to all newbies:
Welcome to all Newbies

Help where do I learn these skills? : Dealing with waste can also be found here.
Help where do I start to learn these skills?

Acid Peroxide information thread:
Acid Peroxide Process Information Thread Q & A's

Hoke's book updated. Screen readable version from Frugal refiners signature:
Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book

Start small, small mistakes, small losses, small mess to clean up. Have a plan before you jump in, ask here first before attempting anything.

Have fun. Be safe.
Martijn.

[Edited to make the Hoke link work.]

Another thing that can happen in AP: reactivity series! If iron is placed in AP, it will displace copper as brown/copper colored cement.
Try to avoid Fe in AP. Or leave it in there until the pale green of FeCl is overtaken by the brightgreen of CuCl2

Latest posts

Back