need help identifying

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xsvfan1

ok so i run across alot of this specific material.

i originally thought it was gold plated and then when i put in a/p solution it just started to rust or look rusty.
i dont think it was copper build up cause it was fresh solution and no copper peices was added. thumbnail_20210930_201346.jpg

ok so i noticed the picture does make it look like brass. its really alot darker colored more gold than yellow.
it wasnt brass.

im thinking its annodized steel like on plugs for extension cords for example. but its not.
im not real great at metal detection yet

If magnetic, it is brass or copper plated, depending on which piece. The contacts are likely silver or silver alloy. If not magnetic, you have brass and copper, as ohiogoldfever posted above.

Time for more coffee.

Snip a tiny piece off and add some distilled water and some drops of nitric in a test tube. Any plated gold will be leftover as foils.

But gold will only be used in places where it has a function.

If the silver is the electric contact part of this piece, the assumed gold plate has no function there. So it probably is just brass or anodized metal.

Gold plating is more often used for static connectors, where silver and silver alloys are commonly used for control and power switches.

Martijn.

Latest posts

Back