need help in atlanta

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathan.gray.2014

i tried to get into gold refining about 5 years ago. I spent about 1000 dollars on scrap when gold was 500-600/oz. i attempted to refine about half of it and got no precipitant. i used aqua regia solution, urea, and sodioum bisulfate. i just joined this forum to try to network with someone, anyone, in the atlanta, ga area (or even up to 100 miles from here) who will help me in person for half of the gold score. I still have about half of the scrap which i have pictures of and should be pretty high in gold content. i may consider selling it if i cant figure this out. thanks. [email protected]

Hello and welcome...
Our best advise here...

Read the forum

Everything you want to know is here for the reading.
You can learn everything you did wrong as well as how to do it right safely.
Hopefully, you did not dump your solution out as your gold is hiding in there.

Good Luck
B.S.

jonathan.gray.2014 said:
i tried to get into gold refining about 5 years ago. I spent about 1000 dollars on scrap when gold was 500-600/oz. i attempted to refine about half of it and got no precipitant. i used aqua regia solution, urea, and sodioum bisulfate. i just joined this forum to try to network with someone, anyone, in the atlanta, ga area (or even up to 100 miles from here) who will help me in person for half of the gold score. I still have about half of the scrap which i have pictures of and should be pretty high in gold content. i may consider selling it if i cant figure this out. thanks. [email protected]
Sodium bisulfate won't precipitate gold. Sodium bisulfite (or sodium metabisulfite or sodium sulfite) is what you should have used.

Jonathan

First - welcome to the forum --- if you still have an interest in learning to do this then you have come to best source of information about it in the world - before you start asking a lot of questions though you "need" to spend some time doing some research so when we talk we talk on the same page & understand each other

Start by reading Hokes book - her book will give you all the basics you need to know & she wrote in a why that anyone can understand - then spend a few week searching the forum - there is a 'gold mine' of info here --- her book (Hokes) is a free down load here on the forum & here is a link to one place you will find it http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20876&p=214808&hilit=Hokes#p214808

If you are no longer really interested in doing this yourself then yes we have members here from GA that may be able to help you out &/or you could try to sell it in the sell trade part of the forum &/or there are other members that may be interested in toll refining it for you (refine it for a percentage) depending on what type of scrap it is - karat scrap, plated scrap, gold filled scrap, electronic scrap ????

There are a couple reasons off the top of my head that I can think of that may have gone wrong with your first attempt at trying this - (1) as GSP (goldsilverpro) pointed out is if in fact you used sulfate instead of sulfite or (2) if you used to much nitric in your AR to dissolve your gold in which case you would have had "free" nitric in the AR when you tried to precipitate in which case the gold will not precipitate out due to the free nitric dissolving the gold right back into solution

As others have said - hope you didn't throw those first attempts away as the gold is still there in solution & can be recovered by a process called cementing (done by adding a piece of copper to the solution)

Kurt

Latest posts

Back