Need help to deal with excess CL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I'm mistaken, no one should ever advise you not to boil a PM bearing solution. I believe the confusion comes from telling members not to confuse boiling with evaporating. If you mean boil, it's okay to use the word boil.
You can safely boil solution without losing values if you cover the container with a watch glass or some use a china saucer. I have broken saucers by heating them too hot but other than a broken piece of glass, there's not really any danger. Cover the beaker with a round bottom flask or any other rounded or concave glass object and as long as it's not too heavy, you will not lose gold to boiling. I have a small coffee pot that I put ice in and set it on top of a beaker to collect escaping solution and condense vapors.

As an aside, water boils at 100°C. Your gold bearing solution will not boil at 101°C. It will "gas off" chlorine though. As the hypochlorite decomposes, it will bubble like a reaction boil and not a thermal boil. Stirring increases this effect and causes more chlorine to be emitted. If you heat the solution until it boils, it may take a couple hundred degrees C depending on what's in the solution. That's why you need some way of gauging the temperature.

jason_recliner said:
If you were high enough, or have access to a vacuum, you could boil water without heating it, but I don't expect it would make very nice tea.
One of my favorite experiments is to use a vacuum pump with a bell jar and boil water until it freezes.
Then to dare people to touch the water they just saw boiling. :mrgreen:

Göran

Geo said:
Unless I'm mistaken, no one should ever advise you not to boil a PM bearing solution. I believe the confusion comes from telling members not to confuse boiling with evaporating. If you mean boil, it's okay to use the word boil.
You can safely boil solution without losing values if you cover the container with a watch glass or some use a china saucer. I have broken saucers by heating them too hot but other than a broken piece of glass, there's not really any danger. Cover the beaker with a round bottom flask or any other rounded or concave glass object and as long as it's not too heavy, you will not lose gold to boiling. I have a small coffee pot that I put ice in and set it on top of a beaker to collect escaping solution and condense vapors.
Actually I had a light bulb moment a while back and started using old incandescent light bulbs for this purpose. These things are used to hitting a couple of hundred degrees Celsius, and they sit nicely over a 100 - 250ml beaker, even if slightly oversized for the 100ml.
Grabbing the bayonet cap in a leather glove and twisting it off removes some top-weight for stability. With the metal cap gone, I recently found one withstood 80 km/h winds.
It might be a bit redneck, but I've found it's very effective. And free.

Thanks a lot for all of you .. you really helped me a lot :D

I started putting a copper bar into the solution then put the beaker (with another beaker on head to act as a lid) on hot palate with low/medium heat and left it over night.

Checked it this morning and seems it's started working .. I can see particles of brown powder cemented in the copper bar and in the bottom of the beaker as well.

Also, seems this will take e a lot of time so should I add some HCL to make it more faste r or just leave it as it's ?

Barren Realms 007 said:
What is 10Ks? Is that 10 Kilos? Is that 10 boards? Is that 10 Lbs? You need to be more descriptive in what you are saying, text lingo doesn't go over well here on the forum.
ahmadbayoumi said:
Many thanks Barren for your reply .. but K(g) is not a text lingo .. it's a standard term like gm for grams and ml for Milli liter .. anyway, sorry if it was not clear.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but thought I could shed light on this for you: the 'k' stands for kilo, so yes it's a standard term, but it only tells us how many units (1,000) and not what those units are. We're big on being precise with language here, because 1) we can't help you without those details, and 2) others come and read what we talk about and try to learn from that.

So, we knew you had ten thousand somethings of cell boards, probably 10kg, but also possibly 10k cell phone boards. We can't help until we know what you mean, and it's really only one extra letter.

Again, I'm not trying to browbeat you, and I do applaud that you took Barren's comment in stride. Some folks get all huffy when we ask for specifics and then the conversation spirals from there.

Thanks upcyclist for clarifications .. Really appreciated :)

I'm not here for debating .. but I'm here for learning and as long as you have a point, and as no one has the ultimate knowledge, then no need for debating.

Just try to take it constructively, and no doubt you will learn something.

Got your point, as what is already known for me may be unknown for others so we have to be careful when using special terms/abbreviation.

Again, thank you upcyclist and Barren and you all .. this is really a wonderful forum.

Latest posts

Back