need help with gold dust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffaej

So am processing another batch of gold computer parts, but this time around my foils are like fine dust particals which makes it really hard to capture. Now I can probably figure a way to collect them but my question is why or how did they get so small? Is there anyway to keep them from braking down so much? Did I leave them in the solution to long?

FYI I am using the AP process.

Any thoughts on this I would be interested in hearing. Thanks!

aggressive agitation can break foils down. if you use a bubbler and feed stock is computer pins it will break down into fine flakes. it shouldnt be a problem recovering you foils. just let everything settle completely and syphon liquid off from top down. butcher has a good method of using a suction bulb to draw fluid away from foils.

In general, the more the foils break up, the thinner the gold, and the less valuable the material. The worst is when all the gold breaks up into tiny slivers. The best is when the foils don't break up at all, such as when you use nitric on good pins and end up with gold foil tubes. The VERY best is when the nitric won't penetrate through the gold enough to eat the copper. There are exceptions to these things, but they're usually reliable.

Suction bulb. Good idea!

I know the gold was probably not of high a grade but all the computer parts are free so I can't really complain.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back