Need some opinions on how to refine ceramic cpus

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pepsi78 - Where are you located? It would help to know that so we can suggest where to find chemicals. You state that sulphuric acid is hard to find. It is very easy to find in the US. I buy it in 5 gallon containers at NAPA Auto Parts stores. You can find it as drain cleaner at True Value hardware stores.

If you're not in the US that info is useless to you.

gold4mike said:
pepsi78 - Where are you located? It would help to know that so we can suggest where to find chemicals. You state that sulphuric acid is hard to find. It is very easy to find in the US. I buy it in 5 gallon containers at NAPA Auto Parts stores. You can find it as drain cleaner at True Value hardware stores.

If you're not in the US that info is useless to you.

They don't have it here, I live in Eastern Europe (EU) the only place you can get it is from car batteries, I don't find it reliable, I want to make my own, I don't find the concept of buying stuff pleasing but rather making it. I spent lots of stuff on my glassware, flasks and so on.

I got some sulphuric acid and it cost me 10 dollars per 300 Mililiters. It's a ripoff. If you do find someone selling it then it's expensive, I got it so I can drop other elements with it after the poor man's AR, like other residual silver elements.

I will try again to make my Nitric Acid !!! :| this time uncontaminated by cooper.

When you used poor mans AR what did you use to drop your gold out of solution?
Tell me, when you use SMB, is it possible that everything else will drop with the gold, the pins are coated with other metals as well, like the core of the pins.

How do I avoid dropping everything except the gold with SMB.

If you can't isn't the poor mans AR useless, how do you take out the base metals, will they remain in solution. It seems to me that all of it dropped on the ocean floor sort of speak, other metals included and I ended up with black glue.

I followed instructions pretty good, I made sure of it. Why did the base metals drop with the gold is what I don't understand, since it is what happened. Is it related to the ph of the solution, other factors ? I used potassium nitrate instead of sodium nitrate, maybe it did not dissolve the metals in a proper manner, I made sure it stopped fizzing and all is dilute and dissolved.

pepsi78 said:
Tell me, when you use SMB, is it possible that everything else will drop with the gold, the pins are coated with other metals as well, like the core of the pins.

If you can't isn't the poor mans AR useless, how do you take out the base metals, will they remain in solution. It seems to me that all of it dropped on the ocean floor sort of speak, other metals included and I ended up with black glue.

I followed instructions pretty good, I made sure of it. Why did the base metals drop with the gold is what I don't understand, since it is what happened.

sounds to me like you are just fishing for answers and not searching, or looking for someone to hold your hand while you learn.

From a solution of mixed metals, you can drop just the gold but as the gold precipitates, it will pull the other metal salts into the sponge and trap it. This is called "drag down" and is a contaminant. Gold that is precipitated from a dirty solution (mixed metals) will need to be refined again.

The dissolution of the chips is a refining process but I believe that it is wrong to term it that way. I feel it should be referred to as a recovery process. Unless extra steps are taken (like using a collector), I do not believe that pure (relatively) gold can be obtained from the first dissolution of ceramic chips.

necromancer said:
pepsi78 said:

I followed instructions pretty good, I made sure of it. Why did the base metals drop with the gold is what I don't understand, since it is what happened.

sounds to me like you are just fishing for answers and not searching, or looking for someone to hold your hand while you learn.

I am looking for answers, I did search also, no one turned with black glue so I thought I give it an ask. Trust me I am frustrated more than holding hands with anyone, not that it is much but I wasted around 25 good ceramic CPUS for my two tests and all I got is misty smoke and black oil.

Geo said:
From a solution of mixed metals, you can drop just the gold but as the gold precipitates, it will pull the other metal salts into the sponge and trap it. This is called "drag down" and is a contaminant. Gold that is precipitated from a dirty solution (mixed metals) will need to be refined again.

The dissolution of the chips is a refining process but I believe that it is wrong to term it that way. I feel it should be referred to as a recovery process. Unless extra steps are taken (like using a collector), I do not believe that pure (relatively) gold can be obtained from the first dissolution of ceramic chips.
Thanks, so you're telling me to take my powder and do the same again, drop it into a new solution of HCL + Nitrate and repeat.

The second refine can be refined again using AR but most people use muriatic acid and bleach. You follow the directions that is posted all over the forum. Search for HCl/Cl. It is much easier to deal with than an AR dissolution. You have to know what you are working with. If you tried to melt gold and got what you described, it wasn't gold. When you are processing CPU's, you must make sure all of the metal has dissolved. Any solids other than the ceramic bodies left after the dissolution means you left your gold in the solids. It's a very easy mistake to make on a first or third or tenth attempt unless you study beforehand and have a good clear understanding of what you are going to do and what it should look like when you are done. That way, you can spot any small problems before it becomes a huge mistake.

Geo said:
The second refine can be refined again using AR but most people use muriatic acid and bleach. You follow the directions that is posted all over the forum. Search for HCl/Cl. It is much easier to deal with than an AR dissolution. You have to know what you are working with. If you tried to melt gold and got what you described, it wasn't gold. When you are processing CPU's, you must make sure all of the metal has dissolved. Any solids other than the ceramic bodies left after the dissolution means you left your gold in the solids. It's a very easy mistake to make on a first or third or tenth attempt unless you study beforehand and have a good clear understanding of what you are going to do and what it should look like when you are done. That way, you can spot any small problems before it becomes a huge mistake.

Thanks, I will search for HCL/CL, never thought you can use this for second refinment, I thought it was only for pure gold after a nitric leach bath, gold fingers. Problem is high concentratrated nitric acid that is not that easy to come by, so I am going to stick to poor mans AR. It's just that I have a horrible history with it, two fails in a row.

Thanks again.

well im new here but I would look at ways to remove base metals and other PM's you may have,
before dissolving gold,
before precipitation,
and after precipitation

there are several things you can do so you end up with not only purer gold but the other PM's that at the moment you have as contaminants
you need to read about each process and follow those processes that can help you.

did you dissolve solder before going after the gold?
did you wash the gold powder following the full procedure as described on this forum?
was your melting dish clean and seasoned properly?

many things can go wrong so it is best to follow a known path exactly

you can always filter it slowly removing the (black glue) then filter again to make sure it's gone. then go from there.
filtering the solution cold & slowly as so it does not clog the filter to fast.

you can then incinerate the filters to turn the (black glue) into ash.

necromancer said:
you can always filter it slowly removing the (black glue) then filter again to make sure it's gone. then go from there.
filtering the solution cold & slowly as so it does not clog the filter to fast.

you can then incinerate the filters to turn the (black glue) into ash.

Aha I see, so there is hope yet for getting it bright.

What I also don't understand, I used the search engine and could not find the exact way or even close the process of washing the powder from the start to the end. How do you wash the gold powder, most people say, wash with HCL and then water then again, but they don't give out any details, boiling ok, then what, you let it cool down so it can settle back down on the bottom? and you dump the solution get the powder from the bottom ? do you use a filter. How do you wash your gold powder.

the iron dwarf said:
well im new here but I would look at ways to remove base metals and other PM's you may have,
before dissolving gold,
before precipitation,
and after precipitation
Sounds great, it's just that there is a problem with the nitric acid that I have.
I'm more interested in getting the base metals out than working with AR from the first time and in general I would want to use HCL+CL.

Nitric acid in high concentration is very toxic for you, you won't even feel it when it does damage to you. You could work with a reduced concentration and it would be okay. My health comes first.

In the help needed section, look for the topic Getting cold pure and shinning, Harold's washing procedure for getting your gold powder more pure.

Note: A second refining does wonders to improve the quality of your gold, along with good washing techniques.

Still no one seems to talk about Stannous Testing!

Sorry to shout, but still there is no proof of any gold in the solution you are trying to precipitate gold from.

And another thing, check your spelling!!!

Chloride is NOT the same thing as chlorine!

Chloride in solution does NOT evaporate, it's an ion.

Chlorine in solution is a gas and will evaporate if left open to the atmosphere.

Chlorine + HCl dissolves gold.

Chloride + nitric acid dissolves gold.

Chloride isn't detected by a chlorine detector.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. I'm going to make some food so I don't get so cranky.

Göran

please, rant after dinner. we will be here holding pepsi's hand.

i think Butcher meant look for the topic "Getting gold pure and shinning"

Latest posts

Back