need to have basic steps/ precipitate/ filter

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip55

Im leaching w iodine,used Goldmine world manual.Question: do I wait to allow ore in leach to settle for a while after bringing PH to7? Clear up or make seperation? I next poured off just the liquid into another clean jar,and I used Sodium Metabisalfite in a spareing (small amount)to drop the gold. The color changed quickly to a golden brown color, although it remained brown colored I had also rinsed the remainder of the ore in solution a couple times prior to adding the Sodium Metabisalfite to the pregnant liquid. I let it settle very short time and then poured thru 1 coffee filter. Very slow filtering took place.What is hard for me is to not receive clear concise details when I pay good money for manuals.The filter contains gold and brown residues, I looked them over under my microscope and found fine clear glass flakes aplenty with some blacks (probably sulfides) occassionally, some rust colored quartz and occassional gold. The ore was sifted to 100 mesh and finer. Reading this blog some state using triple the coffee filters. I see gold in the ore under microscope,gold on my wave table, and prior leaching with iodine leach (done by another person earlyier confirmed gold which I hammered flat and weighed) I have been studing on line and I realize that a standard assay some times does not show me the money, the real deal. I have a leach manual from Action Mining and I found this to be true . Refractry ores some times dont assay worth a nickel. Im planning to use acid bath and oxidizing the cons. I can invent the equipment and design beyond what is out there for the small miner but I need specific instruction when it comes to the chemistry. I dont enjoy wasting time or finances.I found Action Minings information very helpful, yet I feel like a dummy (" mining for dummys") I believe more complete info is a must.If it is standard practice to let the leach settle first than include it in the instructions,from

( gold mine world )and also leach times recommended for micron or fine gold 1-3 hours,while info here on line suggested 24-48 hours for recycling computors.The information is good but not complete.I enjoy reading the posts on this site. I purposefully got a job as a laborer at a Gold mine that leaches,hoping to learn more.Learn what not to do also! Some pointers and feed back would be appreicated. I would like to run enough tests to find out what mesh size to grind to optimize gold recovery for the ores I have and the leach time for best recovery. I sent ground ore samples to a assay outfit and they used standard ore flux where my ore has both oxidized and sulfides present together, the values in the assay I feel misrepresented the ore ,but I know better by what Ive read and I know the pyrites from gold,I also inspected the rich ore from my work under the microscope at home,its all sufides no visible gold. Ill probably be made fun of about the low assay results. Assays are only as good as the person preforming them..

Here is a search are some of the discussions on this iodine leach in the past on the forum.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_epq=Iodine+leach+&num=1000&ft=i&as_sitesearch=goldrefiningforum.com%2Fphpbb3&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any

I did some some research and decided not to use up my iodine for leach purposes, do to the value for health in event of war or scarce supply.(Its gone up in price since I bought it.)

Im looking at my leach note book and may test several acid bath treatments before roasting and leaching..I had purchased a automatic ore roaster,with which I had roasted my cons prior to a peroxide treatment.I think I should have completed the treatments prior to roasting.I have learned that roasting magnatite turns it into hemitite (cyistlizes and makes it hard to disolve the iron content) Anyway my roasting at 1350 F did gas off strong foul smell.But didnt exspose the gold within the black sulfides. A red iron did come off the reds sulfides, could see some gold. I had found the local placer gold had the same red coating on some of the gold.I have pyrites w gold, sulfides with gold locked up and some fine visible gold in my ores, the ore when breaking it up from my mine shaft had a strong sulfur smell. I have carbonous ore with black coating the fractures in the rock.I believe that this ore needs proper pretreatment to get the gold out.My question on leaching was, do you let the solution settle for a length of time after bringing leach from 2 PH up to 7PH to clear up the liquid prior to pouring off the pregnant solution into a clean vessel,and using chemical to drop the gold.Its 24 hrs later and the solution is like lite coffee w cream and a lite orange golden sediment on the bottom. Any help,suggestions? I have been working in a refinery at my work occasionally and asking questions and taking notes.Im thinking of trying a T-6 leach and chlorine leach,and I have CLS 20-21-22 from Action Mining.Without help from other sources Id be totally lost.I would like to know as much as possible so as to be successful. Also had problems with the small furnace I purchased, I am going to use compressed air entering at the propane ejection hole,this furnace also had a opening opposite side that I put refractory cement in so air is now only injected at the point where they will mix.The furnace would waffle back blow and could not get up hotter than red heat much without going out.Thanks

I cannot be much help with this leach,

I would let cloudy solutions of leach settle then decant and filter before trying to precipitate gold.

have you seen these?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?query_txt=iodine%20leach

you may get more help in the mining section of the forum?

Well I should have waited to let everything settle before precipitating the gold as you said.I could probably recover some of the iodine by adding chlorine to the mix. I can wait for awhile as Im going to work for two weeks at a time. I can try another leach when I get back for a week.I had veiwed several iodine patents earlyier, and checked the ones on the web you mentioned.Im new to leaching and needed general does and donts. I plan to follow all directions to a T,as there are many verations. I need to get a ventlation fan in my furaceing shed,so I can do my chemicals out from the house,as chlorine gas and furnaceing gold gives extremely lethal toxic fumes, I have two vertical 12" vents and one having a conical shroud over above my furnace.I well look at the information on this site about making hoods and venting of fumes.I liked the iodine leach cause it was a lot safer,and the leach I used targeted gold only.I like it that information can be attached to the emails and I can go directly to it when ever I want. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back