Need to know some information about

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasehatten27

So I want to get a Acetylene tank and Oxygen Tank. Though I do not want to get anything big. (Too much space used up in my garage already)

At Harbour Freight they have a kit that comes with the torch, check valve, hoses, flint striker.

I want to know if this is good for a beginner that doesn't want to have too much space tank up. Not a lot for financial. Can be able to melt and refine with no problems.. And work for approx 10-15hrs before having to refill.

What would be the difference if I used propane instead? (how much does it usually cost to refill the tank for propane or Acetylene)

Thank, New and this but want to be able to start doing this but be sure I am set up with everything prior to doing it.

pro's and con's of acet vs propane. you should get alot of conflicting opinions about this one.pay attention to some of our longer lived members that have more experience and you cant go wrong. personally i use oxy/acet and the big bottles will do me for years on one fill if i use just to melt.

The short answer is yes, an oxy-acetylene setup will work for melting PMs in melting dishes. How many hours it will operate for you is of course dependent upon the size of the tanks you select. For the most part, people utilize rental tanks, placing a deposit on the tank and paying for the contents. Probably the most common oxy size is 122 cu ft, which is maybe 4 feet high, and a 2A acetylene. Smaller tanks will not take up any less space to speak of. That same set *could* be used using propane as the fuel, but this will require changing the fitting which goes into the propane tank from an acetylene stem to a propane stem. Not a big deal, maybe a $10 part. They used to be the same. They are not now. Most likely the same *heating* torch tips can be used but the *cutting* head will require a different tip. Again, not very expensive, $10 or so. That you are contemplating a Harbor Freight purchase implies that you'll be getting a Chinese something or other which might not have folks around who can service it....though these things tend not to need service for very long periods. If it's a matter of $20 or $30 extra, I would recommend a Victor or a Smiths or a domestic brand, even used, if they are in good condition. If you select actylene, make sure you have flashback arrestors on the torch. I used to have them at both ends of the hose, probably overkill. Either oxy-propane or oxy-acetylene will melt your stuff pretty quickly, none of this blasting your dish for ten plus minutes. More like 2 minutes or even less.

Be sure to observe tank safety, primarily consisting of: 1: Never having your face in front of the oxygen regulator when you crack open the tank, because if the regulator fails, it can blow the glass from the regulator with massive force into whatever is in front of it. 2: CHAIN YOUR TANKS or take some positive measure to be sure working the hoses does not pull one or the other over and bust off the regulators. 3: operate the acetylene in a vertical position and do not extract more than 1/7th its volume per hour. (that would be hard to do on small melts unless you select a teeny "MC" size tank, a little bigger than a Bernz-o-matic propane tank) 3: Oxy tank gets opened all the way, the valve should be opened up so that it hits the stop in the opening direction. You don't have to super-torque it open, it's just reco'ed that you do not operate the valve in the middle of its travel. 4: But you just crack open the acet tank and if it uses a wrench to open it, keep that wrench right on the tank while you are using it. 5: Be super, super careful of flammable things in your work area, and 6: Wear eye protection and gloves and be mindful of creating toxic fumes...many processes produce fumes, torch heat applied things you don't mean to apply it to (like concrete or regular bricks) can create "explosive" situations, not necessarily flamey explosions, but violent spalling > breakoff of shrapnel-like pieces. Eye protection = essential.

The other thing, you ask will this work "for refining and melting". Yes, for melting. It does nothing for refining. What I am trying to say without sounding condescending is that your ability to melt your metals is maybe 5% of the whole picture.

Search the forum about the dangers and benefits of using acetylene. Don't accidentally make explosives. Dr. Poe :|

Gentlemen, if I may add a few more tips on safely handling oxi/acet set up. I've been a structural steel fabricator for a bit over 37 years & I learned that you also don't stand in front of the oxigen regulator because if the regulator is faulty, the knob for adjusting the pressure can come shooting off & kill you when you open the tank. (Be aware, a full oxigen tank has 2000 psi); also, when opening the oxigen tank, don't place your hand on top of the knob! Instead, place your index finger & thumb around the knob & then turn the knob, that way, if the knob is faulty & takes off up like a bullet, it won't take your hand with it.

And yes, CHAIN YOUR TANKS! If the oxigen tank falls, & the main knob brakes off, not only will the knob take off like a bullet, but the tank will take off like a rocket! I friend of mine told me that when he was in welding school, another student lost his grip on a full oxigen tank while changing tanks; the knob hit a bench on its way down; the knob shot thru a concrete block wall going one way & the tank thru another the opposite way! The welding instructor had the students dig the tank from the hill side so they ALL would learn from the expirience.

NEVER lay down an acetelyne tank!
Never light up a torch in a room without proper ventilation, especially first thing in the morning. If you have an acetelyne leak & you strike a spark you will have a bad explosion. At one shop that I worked, I was told of a worker that went, first thing in the morning, & started pulling 200' of hoses from a 55 gal. drum. He had a lit cigarette in his mouth, & as soon as he reached for the hoses & stuck his face in the drum, BOOM! He survived, but he's marked for life.

Be aware of "back fire". If your torch pops & goes out, but you hear a "whistling " sound, you have a flame inside the torch; turn off the torch immediately, & your tanks, too! If you don't, you can have a serious fire & even an explosion.

I recommend you go to a welding supply outfit & get some information before you decide & make any purchase. Be well informed.

Take care & be safe!

Phil

Latest posts

Back