new guy in this

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantaros

hello all
so iv been collecting pin, flat packs, and a load of other things for about a year now because im kinda OCD like that. i have a little over 5lbs of any and all gold plated pins and around 25lbs of chips. this all started out as a hobby of me just working on computers then me scrapping out old computers. now i think im going to try my hand at this. so my question is how should i incinerate 25lbs of chips quickly and completely? right now im reading hokes book but haven't came up with anything yet. :?:

She talks of incineration but her methods are outdated. If you live in the city, you may want to go out to the countryside to do your incineration. On the cheap, use an old bbq grill or a small fire pit. For what you have, use a small bag of self lighting charcoal or a half of a larger bag of dry charcoal. Place the charcoal in the bbq grill or fire pit and place a steel cookie sheet or roasting pan on the grate over the charcoal. Add the chips to the sheet or pan. Light the charcoal and wait for the charcoal to burn completely out. Wait for the chip material to cool completely. it is okay to use a spray bottle with water to dampen the chip material. This keeps the dust down. The dust will have some unhealthy stuff in it. After the material is damp, move the material to a suitable container to hold it until you are ready to proceed.

I had pretty good success with this little setup. Just regular red bricks, barbecue charcoal, a metal coffee can, and a small electric leaf blower.

IMG_20160428_180512352.jpg

I cut the coffee can so that it had two handles to make it easier to pick up. As soon as I would toss in a hand full of chips I would start with the leaf blower aimed at the little opening at the bottom. As it got flaming up good over the top of the can, the flames were high enough to burn up the smoke as the chips started burning. Once I got the timing down there would only occasionally be the slightest hint of burning plastic smell.

IMG_20160428_195142846.jpg

After the chips stopped smoking I could turn off the leaf blower and let them bake another 10 to 15 minutes with the occasional stir and they would be completely white. Then I could pull the can out with some long pliers, dump the chips in a bucket and start over.

I think I've done close to 30 pounds of mixed chips and it took a little over two of the large bags of Kingsford charcoal. It took a while burning one big handful at a time, but being able to burn the smoke up as I did it made it worth the time. For me any ways, but I'm just the hobby type. 8)

I have a burn pile out back and a heavy steel paint can. So this weekend I will try starting a fire and see how it goes

I'm not very knowledgeable of pyrolysis processes I think I know the basics. Cap the can poke a few holes in the can to allow the pressure out but restrict the oxygen getting in

UncleBenBen, be careful using any forced air using charcoal. The temperature could well get above the melting point of steel. The bottom could just fall out of your can. That would make a real mess. I melted a perfect 6" hole in a 1" thick cast iron grate I used in my first furnace. I made it out of brick similar to yours but I had the grate I would set my crucible on with the firebox below it. I blew air into the bottom with a hair drier. Using just charcoal. The first thing I noticed odd was a bunch of bright sparks blowing out of the top. I didn't think much about it and went inside. I came back out a half hour later and turned off the hair drier. When I looked down through the top, I couldn't see the crucible. I had to take the top few layers of brick off and there was the crucible on the ground, still standing upright. It had a big slug of solid brass in it. The grate was gone. I took the rest of the bricks off and found the grate, or what was left of it. I thought the brass would melt well before the cast iron would. I was fully expecting there to be fire, with the grate and a crucible of melted brass when I came back out. The blower was just too much and made the charcoal burn twice as hot but only half as long.

Thanks for the heads up Geo. I had a feeling it could get that hot so I spent a little time tinkering with it first. Just some of the pieces I cut from the coffee can, and a few low end chips. I definitely wanted to have a good feel for it before I threw a pound or two of bridge chips at it!

I found as long as I stayed about three feet back with the leaf blower it would flame up just enough to burn the nasty smoke from the burning chips without over heating. I should say to check the bottom of the can every now and again, and replace it when it starts getting thin. I lost a few smaller BGAs when I poked a hole in the bottom trying to stir them around to get air to them.

Pls help me too, to perform the chemical reaction as reading the Hoke's book but i didnt got information about the time gap between the chemical reactions.

Latest posts

Back