New penneys use for zinc

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchd

I have 2.5 pounds of AgCl from computer cpu's and boards which is not very clean has some gold foils to fine for me to screen and some iron so I plan on putting it back into NHO3, filter and then use copper to recover the silver.

I am making silver cement using 2.5 pounds of H2SO4 96% and 1.5 pound of zinc and ran out of zinc powder and need about a half pound more.

So my question is can I use penneys that are 1983 or newer for my sorce of zinc? the copper plate on the penneys won't be a probem? if I put the cement silver back into NHO3.

Thanks.

mitchd.

At this time it is illegal to deface, destroy, melt, or ship out of the country US nickels or pennies.

Many of the Electrical conduit fittings are made from die cast zinc here is a composition used, looks like mostly zinc and 3 to 4 % aluminum:

http://www.diecasting.org/dce/issues/0211/211online2.pdf

Hello,

Why use zinc and sulphuric?

In scenario with AgCl, some gold , some iron, i'd just use AR, heat up and let it dissolve the gold and iron. AgCl will stay untouched. Rinse AgCl, drop gold from AR.
AgCl reduction(from my experience) is best to be done with lye, making Ag2O, than either melt, or redissolve in HNO3 and cement out on copper. If your AgCl has not dried yet, this should be easily done.
What i've tried, (and i hate :) ) is using zinc to get Ag from AgCl - going with the hydrogen reduction way leaves behind some zinc - almost always.
Melting something that has zinc in it has lately become my small personal nightmare(can be used as a military smoke shells) - lots of white fumes, one or two breaths, and breathing is hard for next two hours, without really good fume hood pain in your back, not mentioning zinc slag with small silver droplets in it.
What i've tried - melting cemented silver with some AgCl reduced by hydrogen reduction using zinc - input material was 83% Ag, 12% Zn, 5% Cu. Didn't melt, what i've got from melting was black ugly something with lot of silver drops in it.

If you go that way, and you are succesfull, please post a reply with how-to.

Best Regards
Marek "Moje"

1. why using 96% H2SO4 instead diluted 1/15?
2. you can use aluminum instead of zinc.
3. purification of AgCl can be done by dissolving in ammonia, filtering, and then HCL

Latest posts

Back