New to refining, help with flux

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to us.
What is whink?
Without knowing what is there it is hard do give advice.
There is much information regarding fluxes in here, it may be hard to find though, but try a search for flux or fluxes.

You will probably not get a refined result unless you manager to oxidize the base metals away.
It might be better to do a wet refining
Whink is a cleaning product available off the shelf in the USA weak acids will slowly dissolve quartz.

Hmm. What does it contain?
Whink Rust Stain Remover Ingredients. Whink Rust Stain Remover contains: Deionized Water q.s. 100% Hydrofluoric Acid 1-3% Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid (EDTA) 0-1%, Trisodium Salt 100-200 ppm, Calcium Chloride 100-700 ppm, sodium Fluosilicate Pentahydrate 100-500 ppm Iron (II) Sulfate Heptahydrate 80-160 ppm. The Hydrofluoric Acid is what attacks the quartz I believe we use it on specimen pieces of gold ore

Whink Rust Stain Remover Ingredients. Whink Rust Stain Remover contains: Deionized Water q.s. 100% Hydrofluoric Acid 1-3% Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid (EDTA) 0-1%, Trisodium Salt 100-200 ppm, Calcium Chloride 100-700 ppm, sodium Fluosilicate Pentahydrate 100-500 ppm Iron (II) Sulfate Heptahydrate 80-160 ppm. The Hydrofluoric Acid is what attacks the quartz I believe we use it on specimen pieces of gold ore
Ok thanks.
We used something similar to remove the welding oxidation from stainless steel.
Nasty stuff.

Yes sorry the messages are translated I meant silver chloride and not sodium chloride On the other hand, sodium chloride is very useful and can be used as a flux. experience it yourself. take a salted alloy or a salted ingot filled with borax, not very homogeneous, something that you have to remelt. heat it up in your propane forge or induction furnace. you can put in little borax with the ingot, it allows to drop the melting point of the metal. when your metal and liquid add a little borax, fished out the slag, to grow a little. now add nacl table salt, after adding the borax 1) borax / 2) NaCl in precisely that order. you will see after melting and passage in clear water that the ingot shines and that no trace of flux remains present. no bath with sulfuric acid necessary

Hi all I'm new to refining.
I'm currently having issues with my gold cons.
My ore has a lot of galena and pyrites in it.
So I'm thinking it would easier to let my port 1 on my shaker table take all the gold and minerals and do one big smelt.

Is there a basic flex to start with that will work well with galena. I currently dont have any flux so I'm open to any suggestions

Ben
Hi Ben, just wondering if you got your fluxes dialed in. In retrospect after reading all the posts again, we should have asked what type of rock (acid or basic), you were milling, and a rough percentage of sulfides in the concentrates. We could then help fine tune your fluxes, if you haven't done so by now.

Latest posts

Back