Newbe

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Weller

I’m Jerry,
I was gifted a little mess. Just a clump of melted scrap jewelry that was supposedly a mix of mostly 14k and some 18k. I made my first mistake by using non pure Borax. The effect of this was a dark brown red glass like intro that I have not been able to remove. The piece was 42g IMG_D9577F68-3D0A-4956-8536-66F8745B187B.jpeg

and is now approximately 37.7g image.jpg.

I did a lead cupellation and while it reduced to a nice shiny yellow bead, when it cooled it became porous and has a red-orange tint on surface.

I’m Jerry,
I was gifted a little mess. Just a clump of melted scrap jewelry that was supposedly a mix of mostly 14k and some 18k. I made my first mistake by using non pure Borax. The effect of this was a dark brown red glass like intro that I have not been able to remove. The piece was 42g View attachment 64277

and is now approximately 37.7g View attachment 64278.

I did a lead cupellation and while it reduced to a nice shiny yellow bead, when it cooled it became porous and has a red-orange tint on surface.
Welcome to us.
Are you sure there is any Gold in there at all?
Do you have a picture of the bead?
Karat Gold should not need much Borax or flux in the smelt/melt.
What was your plan with melting it in the first place?

I’m Jerry,
I was gifted a little mess. Just a clump of melted scrap jewelry that was supposedly a mix of mostly 14k and some 18k. I made my first mistake by using non pure Borax. The effect of this was a dark brown red glass like intro that I have not been able to remove. The piece was 42g View attachment 64277

Sounds like incomplete cupellation, the red is possibly lead oxide with base metal oxides. How much lead did you add to the 42 gram button?

I’m Jerry,

And did you cupel with borax or some flux?

Welcome to us.
Are you sure there is any Gold in there at all?
Do you have a picture of the bead?
Karat Gold should not need much Borax or flux in the smelt/melt.
What was your plan with melting it in the first place?
I am assured that it is the result of melted 14 karat Rings and at least one necklace. It was given to me and so I have no idea if indeed, there really is gold. I did not take a picture of the bee during either the processes, but it indeed was bright yellow gold, but the impurities seem to re-gather as it cools.. I have bailed on the melting by heat and have ordered all things necessary for aqua regia and will take pictures of all steps and process in the end result, which hopefully will give me a pure beat after melting the dust. I’ll let you guys know what happens.

Latest posts

Back