Newbie crystalizing gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serephah

Hello,
I have some thin sheets of 24k gold. I wish to dissolve them in aqua regia,and then evaporate off the acid mixture in order to acquire the pure gold crystals. I've already done a small experiment where I've dissolved small gold flakes in aqua regia. The problem is then evaporating off the aqua regia, while making sure no family or pets inhale the toxic chlorine gas.

What I have in mind is to put the aqua regia and gold in a retort, place the retort in an incubator, with a tube attached to the retort, and have the tube going through a hole in the incubator to the outside and down into a covered hole in the earth. I'd dig a hole several feet deep and cover it with wood or plastic. Because the gas is heavier than air, it'll just stay in the hole, and slowly disperse, and in that way, leave my backyard safe of toxic gas. That's the idea anyway.

What are your thoughts or opinions on this please? Am I making this overly complicated? Does anybody here have experience in this particular procedure?

Thanks
Serephah

I do not understand is this just an expieriment? if it is already 24K why?

look at making a scrubber, it can be used to scrub these acid fumes, if done properly they will be safe, it can also be used to capture gasses making a weak acid solution, or another byproduct.

there are exellent posts on fume scrubber's, much better than contaminating your soil or the drinking water in our water table.

Hi Butcher

Oh wow, that looks like quite the project - building a hood and scrubber. But I guess it's pretty much necessary.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4776&hilit=fume+scrubber

I am experimenting with colloidal gold, so I will need the gold in crystalline form. By the way, when the aqua regia evaporates, will it just be the gold left over, or will it be a gold chloride?

Thanks

Serephah said:
Hi Butcher

Oh wow, that looks like quite the project - building a hood and scrubber. But I guess it's pretty much necessary.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4776&hilit=fume+scrubber

I am experimenting with colloidal gold, so I will need the gold in crystalline form. By the way, when the aqua regia evaporates, will it just be the gold left over, or will it be a gold chloride?

Thanks

I just hope you do not intend to make some wonder drug or use colloidal gold for consumption.

Back