Newbie Needs Help!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSchlack

Hello all!

I'm glad I found this forum. I've been completely infatuated with processing scrap gold from laptops that I score from my employer. I've looked at all the you tube videos to try this myself and I think I've failed miserably, and I'm not sure if I can salvage what I've done so far.

I stripped a lot of gold plated pins, memory "fingers" and treated them with Muriatic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide using the standard 50/50 ratio. Filtered the solution out, washed thoroughly with water, then tried to smelt it. (Making a long story short)

The end result is an ingot that looks suspiciously like copper.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and was wondering if you folk can tell me what I did wrong, and if I can take this "copper" ingot and do something with it to extract what is supposed to be gold?

Thanks in advance!!

The only standard I see in 50/50 AP is, that it makes the standard mess.

The good news is, you have found the right place to start anew, forget everything "learned" so far. Today's lesson would be to find, download and read Hoke's books (little hint: there are two) and to search by "Advanced search" (upper left corner) for "CuCl2" and "Butcher" as the author. Further the safety section and proper methods to handle toxical waste are obligatory.

Until then, store your materials safely and don't start any new experiments!

Cheers

Hello Dschlack,

You have arrived at the finest repository of information for the hobby refiner, in the world. Welcome!

Here you will find the answer to any refining question you can imagine.
Only one problem....., you first have to look for the answer yourself. It took me a while to figure out why everyone is so adamant about this, as I am an impatient guy, who likes fast answers. Fortunately, some really nice people explained the forum culture to me, and as a result, my refining knowledge grows daily.

At the head of each topic on the "Board index" page, is an "announcement" box. Check out "Tips for navigating and posting on the forum", and "Board policy". I cannot stress how important this is to your stay here, mate.This link, viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21374 will really make things easy for you.

The "powers that be" are inundated with answering similar questions more than once, and sometimes get a little sticky with what may be perceived as a need by new entrants for instant gratification with minimal input (like I used to be), so in exchange for their vast, and I mean vast, knowledge, they ask only that your prove your sincerity by doing the required legwork in the form of the suggested reading, specifically the free download of C M Hoke's seminal book, "Refining precious metal waste", (The forum's "bible"), prior to posting.

Send me a pm for "New to the forum" questions, If I can help, I will.
Mike 8)

Dschlack

You will find the link to Hokes book at the "very" bottom of FrugalRefiners first post of the thread solar_plasma provided - you have a choice of ether a screen readable version or a print friendly version - this book is an "absolute must read" for all new members --- it gets you started in understanding the basics of refining as well as terminology so we can talk the same talk

Also you MUST spend some time (& I mean some real time) researching the forum for information- again this is so you can come up to speed on the different processes & talk the proper lingo when asking question as well as understand the lingo when reading replies

This is the worlds absolute best source of information on the recovery & refining of precious metals - most (if not all) of the "active" members here are "true refiners" whether they are doing it at a hobby level - or actually work for &/or own refineries - or retired from owning/working for refineries

We are NOT a bunch of youtube "wana be" refiners filling the internet with a bunch of mis-information &/or incomplete information --- here you will find the right info & complete info

Example of wrong info from youtube --- Muriatic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide using the standard 50/50 ratio --- that is waaaay toooo muuuuch peroxide - you most likely dissolved some of your gold & put it into solution & the youtube video did not tell you how to test for it in solution &/or how to recover it from solution

So if you really want to learn to do this - please read Hokes as well as doing some research here on the forum & then when you have question (& you will) we will be more then glad to help you when you have enough understanding to ask the right question in the first place.

welcome to THE forum

Kurt

Thanks all!

I've downloaded Hoke's book, and will begin my education!!

I'm pretty excited to be here, and look forward to becoming a true refiner!!

Threads like this are very educational. This thread is an example of how the system works. My hats also off to you Mike.

While you're reading and learning, do NOT throw out your solutions. If you used 50/50 HCl and peroxide, you probably dissolved a bit of gold and it might still be there waiting for you.

Latest posts

Back