Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I stumbled acrossed this forum in a video I was watching. Just exploring precious metal refining and what it encompasses. Just looking to learn something new. I have a few precious metals to play with so it is a cheap, low cost self educating experience I am looking for. I try to explore new things yearly to keep myself learning and have hobbies. Last year it was planting and using more herbal medicinals. This year it is precious metal recovery to reduce waste of what we already recycle and reuse. Knowledge truly is like a savings account. You can't withdraw from what you don't have.

Hello all. I stumbled acrossed this forum in a video I was watching. Just exploring precious metal refining and what it encompasses. Just looking to learn something new. I have a few precious metals to play with so it is a cheap, low cost self educating experience I am looking for. I try to explore new things yearly to keep myself learning and have hobbies. Last year it was planting and using more herbal medicinals. This year it is precious metal recovery to reduce waste of what we already recycle and reuse. Knowledge truly is like a savings account. You can't withdraw from what you don't have.
Welcome to us.

Here is some more to broaden your horizon even more;)

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/

Hello, I am hoping maybe someone can give me some directions. I have a question about containers to store solutions in. I have been reading through the threads about stannous Chloride solutions and am not finding the answer to my questions I have. But I don't know where to start a thread to ask. I bought a brand new Amber Glass dropper to put my solution in. The top of the dropper that I bought for my solution I made failed and made a mess 1 wk after I made my first solution.So after this experience with my first spill I am looking to try to figure out what I did wrong of course and to prevent future accidents.

Hello, I am hoping maybe someone can give me some directions. I have a question about containers to store solutions in. I have been reading through the threads about stannous Chloride solutions and am not finding the answer to my questions I have. But I don't know where to start a thread to ask. I bought a brand new Amber Glass dropper to put my solution in. The top of the dropper that I bought for my solution I made failed and made a mess 1 wk after I made my first solution.So after this experience with my first spill I am looking to try to figure out what I did wrong of course and to prevent future accidents.
How did you make the Stannous?
Did it contain metallic Tin and HCl?
If so, you can not close the cap completely since it will evolve Hydrogen gas which may break the top or bottle.
Let the cap be just loosely closed.

I use an over the counter eye drop bottle. Peel the lable off before use. I have used bottles made for food coloring as well. Dollar Tree used to carry new, empty bottles in 1/2oz size at 6 for a dollar. My eye drop bottle has been used for three years now. I have a dollar tree bottle that has been in use for almost two years now.

How did you make the Stannous?
Did it contain metallic Tin and HCl?
If so, you can not close the cap completely since it will evolve Hydrogen gas which may break the top or bottle.
Let the cap be just loosely closed.
Yes I made it with 2 grams of pure tin and 30 ml of HCL. It disintegrated the rubber top and pushed acid up the dropper and out.
The tin was fully dissolved and the mixture was put in the bottle 3 days after I had started the process.. it still produces the gas after the reaction is done?

Yes I made it with 2 grams of pure tin and 30 ml of HCL. It disintegrated the rubber top and pushed acid up the dropper and out.
The tin was fully dissolved and the mixture was put in the bottle 3 days after I had started the process.. it still produces the gas after the reaction is done?
The HCL was Sunnyside Muriatic. I did have a locking lid dropper for safety purposes. But am surprised that I had a gas build up after the reaction ( I thought) had completed. Also the condition of the rubber dropper top had me questioning whether my containers I have chosen will be of suitable materials for what I will be doing moving forward.

If you fill a dropper bottle and your stannous is still reacting the fluid will push up into the dropper and blow it apart or off the dropper itself, causing your solution to get blown out as well. If you use a plastic dripper type bottle and your stannous is still reacting, the lid will blow off but very little to no solution will be sprayed out. I drill holes in a two inch thick board to hold my small bottles, this keeps them from turning over if the lid happens to pop off. Do not tighten the lids on either type bottle will help as well. Stannous is cheap and with a bit of extra tin will last a long time, so don’t worry about it going bad. Just make some new and move on.

The HCl destroys the rubber dropper tops of those bottles. I used one the first time I made stannous too. It lasted less than a week. HCl is a gas. It is dissolved in water when we buy it, but it doesn't like to stay in solution, so it is always gassing off. It eats rubber. I use the same type of dropper bottles as Shark mentioned. Very cheap on eBay.

Dave

I will make a statement here that hopefully you will take in the way it’s meant.
Recovery and refining ( 2 separate subjects) are not small fields of science , we produce highly toxic fumes , solutions and waste.
To become adept takes patience and time and an awful lot of study, you have encountered one problem that thankfully wasn’t a disaster, now had that solution been value bearing and other metal loaded it can be a real headache to recover that loss and clean up the mess.
Study and ask questions if things do not make sense help will be freely given, once you feel ready to start do very very small reactions to become aware of what to expect.
You can do this but this isn’t an easy short term project .

Why not use a small lab glass bottle with a ground glass stopper( with a dab of silicone grease), keep your dropper separate. This type of stopper will burp under pressure releasing any gas but will keep air out.

I don’t have any that small myself, and the cost at my level does not justify buying one. I do have several larger ones, but I do not use enough stannous to need that much solution on hand. At this point in my refining I don’t see me growing any larger as well. For those at that level, yes, they would be a great addition. If I ran across one the right size locally I would probably buy it.

I will make a statement here that hopefully you will take in the way it’s meant.
Recovery and refining ( 2 separate subjects) are not small fields of science , we produce highly toxic fumes , solutions and waste.
To become adept takes patience and time and an awful lot of study, you have encountered one problem that thankfully wasn’t a disaster, now had that solution been value bearing and other metal loaded it can be a real headache to recover that loss and clean up the mess.
Study and ask questions if things do not make sense help will be freely given, once you feel ready to start do very very small reactions to become aware of what to expect.
You can do this but this isn’t an easy short term project .
Noted and appreciated. Thank you. Yes I have been taking everything very slow. Have been studying and collecting materials for over a year now. Have been trying to understand what my materials are made of and what is involved. Finally made a stannous solution to experiment with 2wks ago. I will have to make more when I actually try putting gold into solution. But have not decided if I will attempt even with the bleach and hcl method yet this year. ( I know stannous is for testing dissolved gold but I was itching to see if It would have any reaction on thin materials.) I'm glad I did because this small mishap, as you said could have been more serious and that is exactly what I want to prevent. I find this forum extremely helpful to read through. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back