Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, I wasn't sure I was following the forum rules asking here. I have done a hcl and bleach wash of a 10 place dish set, 10 plates, 10 bowls, cups, salad plates, saucers. 2 vases with gold etching, 4 gold rimmed ornamental plates labeled 24k. I have filtered my solutions and boiled down to combine in 1 beaker. I have only washed gold rimmed and gold plated glassware. So my understanding is I should only have copper and possibly zinc in my solution. I'm questioning now if there is more base metals possibly to deal with. I was going to put a copper tube hammered flat in my solution to cement out copper and zinc then test my ph. Ph is supposed to be around 2? I'm not sure that is my next steps. I have both excess hcl and chlorine after boiling and rinses according to my test strips. My stannous test still looks good. My filter had a lot of black sediment though.
This is my 1st time experiment. The copper cementing should use my extra acid. I didn't expect my chlorine to still be so high. Do I have to lower my chlorine before I cement out base metals?

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure I was following the forum rules asking here. I have done a hcl and bleach wash of a 10 place dish set, 10 plates, 10 bowls, cups, salad plates, saucers. 2 vases with gold etching, 4 gold rimmed ornamental plates labeled 24k. I have filtered my solutions and boiled down to combine in 1 beaker. I have only washed gold rimmed and gold plated glassware. So my understanding is I should only have copper and possibly zinc in my solution. I'm questioning now if there is more base metals possibly to deal with. I was going to put a copper tube hammered flat in my solution to cement out copper and zinc then test my ph. Ph is supposed to be around 2? I'm not sure that is my next steps. I have both excess hcl and chlorine after boiling and rinses according to my test strips. My stannous test still looks good. My filter had a lot of black sediment though.
Most likely you will not brake even.
There is very little Gold on china like this.

Anyway you should not have much base metals if at all.
Copper will not cement out Copper and absolutely not Zinc.
Copper will cement out Gold, Silver and the other PM's plus Mercury if it is there.

Controlling the pH is the main stumble block for the HCl/bleach process.
Do not let it get too high.
Make sure the pH is not higher than 2-3 and try to precipitate by SMB or Cement it on Copper.

Most likely you will not brake even.
There is very little Gold on china like this.

Anyway you should not have much base metals if at all.
Copper will not cement out Copper and absolutely not Zinc.
Copper will cement out Gold, Silver and the other PM's plus Mercury if it is there.

Controlling the pH is the main stumble block for the HCl/bleach process.
Do not let it get too high.
Make sure the pH is not higher than 2-3 and try to precipitate by SMB or Cement it on Copper.
Ok, my original plan was to cement copper on a stainless spoon and then add hcl. I got turned around reading the forum and thought it was copper tubing to use. I got confused. Thank you so much for your time. I'm also glad Urea isn't involved. I had originally thought urea was to neutralize Nitric.

Ok, my original plan was to cement copper on a stainless spoon and then add hcl. I got turned around reading the forum and thought it was copper tubing to use. I got confused. Thank you so much for your time. I'm also glad Urea isn't involved. I had originally thought urea was to neutralize Nitric.
If you are going to cement out PMs Copper is the metal gir that.
If you want you cement out Copper, Iron will do fine.
Search for the reactivity series of metals.
We do not recommend the use of Urea due to some shortcomings, but it is to decompose Nitric yes.
We recommend using Sulfamic acid in stead.
But for HCl/Bleach no need for any, just some time and or heat.

If you are going to cement out PMs Copper is the metal gir that.
If you want you cement out Copper, Iron will do fine.
Search for the reactivity series of metals.
We do not recommend the use of Urea due to some shortcomings, but it is to decompose Nitric yes.
We recommend using Sulfamic acid in stead.
But for HCl/Bleach no need for any, just some time and or heat.
Thank you Yggdrasil. I was able to move forward with my experiment after you cleared up my confusion. I am 12 hours into what seems to be a successfull 1st experiment. My drop with smb worked as I expected. My solution is still murky, but has cleared noticibly.I really appreciate your time and helping me learn. Thank you.

Yes I made it with 2 grams of pure tin and 30 ml of HCL. It disintegrated the rubber top and pushed acid up the dropper and out.
The tin was fully dissolved and the mixture was put in the bottle 3 days after I had started the process.. it still produces the gas after the reaction is done?
i had this happen when i was starting out... slightly unexpected...but funny! i use plastic droppers now :p

Latest posts

Back