Newer Than A Newbie PUTTING SAFETY FIRST

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karens

:shock:

I am new here and do not have a chemistry background. With that said, I am wondering if anyone has tried to chemically process gold in a completely contained environment?

Can you rent a station in a lab with the table, using the gloves through the glass to work with the materials?

It seems that no matter which process is used to separate the gold from other substances and then to refine it you are using hazardous chemicals & exposing yourself to fumes. This is frustrating and something to grapple with.

My situation is that my parents own a cabin in Lake Tahoe and when the bought it a gold miner had lived there for over 8 years. In that 8 years he literally covered every square inch of the property, inside and out with his quartz crystals, geodes and finds from his work. When we looked at the house and property we couldn't believe how crammed full it was. I believe this freaked out all the potential buyers except for us. We like geology and found this all very interesting. The gold miner told us that if the price of gold ever got high enough that we should process the soil from the area he used to clean off all of his finds & equipment. He had so much material from his mining that he left tons of stuff behind. Whenever we dig in the yard we find dozens and dozens of the quarts crystals behind.

I've read that quartz crystal "grows" near places that gold is found and that it can have gold veins within it.

I have looked at a cubic foot of soil and found honey-comb rock with brown reddish lines, many brownish-red rocks, granite rock with quartz flecks & black sand. There is also the glittery micha. I am going to keep washing the material until it's got most of the mud and dust off of it.

Then it seems like crushing the rock is my next step.

Thanks for listening. Any feedback on this would be great. Thanks, K

Quartz can contain gold, but not all quartz does. Before you jump to conclusions that crushing that which you have will yield gold, might be a good idea to determine if it does. If it's white, no traces of dark colors, pretty good chance it does not. A general gray cast may be a good indicator, or, if it contains minute traces, you may not even see it visually. In that case, you'd work very hard for little recovery. Hard to say without seeing samples.

Do handle quartz with care. It's not good to breath the dust, as it has the potential to lead to silicosis.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold

Latest posts

Back