NITERIC- NITRIC

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHARLIE GREENLER

Ok here is somthing I want to try.I have 5 pounds of lab grade sodium nitrate.When I make nitric I use 1 cup of niter to 1 quart of tempered sulfuric and let it sit over nite .I have never tried this but can you take that mix with the niter still in it and mix with pool acid (muratic /hcl) to make AR?OR WILL THE SALTS EVENTUALY REACT AND CAUSE A PROBLEM?sOME ONE TOLD ME i COULD MIX THE QUART WITH 1 GALLON POOL ACID BUT IT WOULDNT ACT LIKE REGULAR AR.I havent tried this yet with the salts left in the sulfuric.The sulfuric is too oily (oil of viterol) Can anything be done to change viscocity but retain acid streingth?What are you guys and gals using to test for streingth pecentages(78% nitric,50%nitric 94%nitric ect.)?

I use muriatic acid (31.45%) with sodium nitrate (fertilizer grade) everyday to process precious metals.

There is no need to convert the niter to nitric acid before using unless you are processing silver.

Steve

Your recipe for nitric acid sounds like the one that I have used.

1 cup of sodium nitrate (I grind it in a blender with a cup of water)
I add 1 quart of battery acid (I get it from Advance Auto) and
then I let it sit over night.

It works well to get the base metals out of escrap like CPU's,
pins, connectors, etc. It is more expensive than the acid peroxide
but it does the job quicker for me on the escrap items with more
base metals than the gold fingers or plated boards that I normally
process and refine.

It sounds like you are trying to make Poor mans AR which is
used to dissolve gold. The recipe for AR, poor mans AR, AP, etc.
are all found on the first section of the forum. Look there
and always - err on the side of caution when using these or
any chemicals!! I.e. - read the safety section!! 8)

Thank you. I use the tempered sulfuric ,it doesnt come to a boil that is as uncontrolable ,its just thicker and oily.I was concidering caping the container and bubling all the gasses off through vinegar and bubbling that through a gasoline tank in an engin and completely burning it all off safly too.Everyone else does it .

Latest posts

Back