Nitrate salts help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link provided seems very clear that both will work.

Per INSTRUCTIONS. You do not need to put the solution in your freezer an ice water bath will work.

Lazersteve's Reaction:

-Bring 100 mL of Distilled Water in a 500 mL pyrex beaker to 100 C
-Add the Nitre of your choice (202 gm K / 170 gm Na)
-Stir until Nitre is completely dissolved, let cool below boiling
-SLOWLY add 56 mL conc (96%+) Sulfuric Acid to Hot Nitre solution while stirring, DON'T allow the solution to boil!
-Allow solution to cool to room temp (DO NOT SKIP - VESSEL WILL SHATTER IF PUT ON ICE WHILE HOT!!!)
-When vessel reaches room temp (25 °C) put the vessel in the freezer or on a salt water ice bath
-Let stand until temperature of mixture reaches -5 °C
-Let stand at -5 °C until all precipitate settles
-Pour the COLD solution off into glass container with tightly sealed lid DO NOT POUR OFF ANY OF THE SALT IN THE BOTTOM!!!
-Makes ~160 mL ~50% HNO3

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i distill my acid my putting 250 grams of potassium nitrate (stump remover) in a 1l round bottom flask then add 250 grams hcl (rooto drain cleaner) no water added heat till around 110 to 120 c through a 400mm liebig condenser into a 500ml chilled round botton flask i end up with a white fuming acid. simpley add it to sterling silver in distilled water till desolved

rickzeien said:
To Dave, Shark, Lou, and all of the great people who give of there time AND invaluable expertise.

Don't let a few people that refuse to be helped stop you from administering your experience and advise.

This forum is hands down the best of it's kind , on PM refining, or any other for that matter.

I know of no other place one could obtain beginning, intermediate and expert level advise and the archive data this site contains.

Your selfless gift of time and knowledge is noticed and acknowledged by a vast silent majority of this forum.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks to post such as yours in the equipment section I could never loose interest is this field. I get to watch you build some things I only have dreams about and that is worth the "price of admission". There are so many posts such as yours that have my attention it is hard to know where to start.

Back