Nitric Acid CO-OP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohn

Just like the title says. I'm Looking to find members near me that have a hard time finding nitric. It would be cool to find enough people to go in together and buy some nitric in bulk and split the cost. I would love to be able to process silver again, but the high cost of nitric has me selling my silver off.

Thank you for the kind offer. I will be out of town myself and probably wont be back till the middle of january.

Anyone in Houston found a place that sells Nitric across the counter? Graingers will only sell it to a bonfide business and it has to be shipped from their regional warehouse to a business address with the addition of the hazmat fee on top of their catalog price.

Mike

mikeinkaty said:
Anyone in Houston found a place that sells Nitric across the counter? Graingers will only sell it to a bonfide business and it has to be shipped from their regional warehouse to a business address with the addition of the hazmat fee on top of their catalog price.

Mike
I moved away from Houston in about 2004. Before then, here's where I bought nitric. At that time, I think I was paying about $10-$15 for a gallon of tech grade.
http://www.industrialchemco.com/

GSP - I called them. They have 2.5 L in Tech grade for $52 and in Reagent grade for $40. The lady said they sell to anyone coming through the door. These prices have no additional fees. She did not know what the strength was but their web site says the Tech grade is 62%. I'm assuming the Reagent grade is 70%?? She said the Reagent grade was cheaper because they use a different supplier for it. They do not ship.

Heck of a Deal!

Industrial Chemical & Scientific Co., Inc.
11722 Charles Street,
Houston, Texas 77041
713-466-8776
1-800-392-4047

Mike

I can get as much nitric as I need here for less than $2/liter in 30 liter containers!

<Feeling mean @ 2:26am. :twisted: :mrgreen: >

mikeinkaty said:
GSP - I called them. They have 2.5 L in Tech grade for $52 and in Reagent grade for $40. The lady said they sell to anyone coming through the door. These prices have no additional fees. She did not know what the strength was but their web site says the Tech grade is 62%. I'm assuming the Reagent grade is 70%?? She said the Reagent grade was cheaper because they use a different supplier for it. They do not ship.

Heck of a Deal!

Industrial Chemical & Scientific Co., Inc.
11722 Charles Street,
Houston, Texas 77041
713-466-8776
1-800-392-4047

Mike
They used to repackage tech grade in 1 gallon plastic jugs and 5 gallon plastic containers. I think they also did 15 gallons. Maybe the laws changed. Ask about it.

At first glance, it sounds like the reagent grade is the best deal. However, reagent grade comes in various strengths besides 70%. I would check on the strength before I bought it. If it's too low strength, the tech grade might be a better deal. Also, verify their tech grade strength. Tech grade out of the drum is usually 67%.

Mike,

I just called them and got more info. The reagent grade is 70% and the tech grade is 62%. The reason the tech grade is more expensive is that it comes from "high dollar" Fisher, whereas the reagent grade supply is local.

Here's the great part. They sell 5 gallons (70% reagent grade, I think, but it really makes no difference) in stainless containers for $40 (that's $8/gallon!!!). The rub is that the deposit on the stainless container is $275. When you return the container, you either get the $275 back or get more nitric ($40) in another container. They do the same with 15 gal containers. In that case, the deposit is $400 and the acid is $103 ($6.87/gallon). They prefer you to not rinse out the stainless containers before returning them. They also have sulfuric, 5 gal for $71, no container charge. They also carry SMB and about any other chemical you would need (more than is listed on their website). And, they have lab supplies - beakers, filter paper, etc. Great company with good prices.

If you buy the 5 gal, or larger, containers, you'll need a plastic drum pump (I would get 2). You could pour the acid out but I feel the pumps are safer. The pumps are usually $10-$20. Using them can be dangerous, though, if you use them wrong. I can tell you how to use them safely if you want. There are 2 basic types. Here's good photos of the one I prefer. It's more heavy duty than the other one and it will last longer. Note the large red section is octagonal, whereas the cheaper one (usually green) is round in that area. That's how you can tell them apart. I imagine Industrial carries both. The cheaper round type works OK but it's more flimsy. I would get a dedicated pump for each type acid. That way, no cross-contamination. Also, rinse out the pump with water immediately after using it and hang it up to drip dry. If you leave acid in it, it will ruin the valves.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/drum-barrel/drum-pumps/siphon-pump-light-oil-kerosene-water-based-chemicals-2

If you do buy 5 gal or more, I would also buy some 1 gal plastic chemical jugs from Industrial to transfer the nitric to. They're cheap. I think they come 4 in a box. You'll also need 3 or 4 new buckets.

I have ordered 4 pints from that place in Wisconsin (?). When I run out I will go to this place in Houston and get the 2.5L and pour it into the left over plastic pint containers from the first batch. I don't want to be holding a half gallon of nitric over my workbench while trying to pour it into a funnel! I doubt I would ever need 5 gallons. I will know when I get a few batches done.

Mike

mikeinkaty said:
I have ordered 4 pints from that place in Wisconsin (?). When I run out I will go to this place in Houston and get the 2.5L and pour it into the left over plastic pint containers from the first batch. I don't want to be holding a half gallon of nitric over my workbench while trying to pour it into a funnel! I doubt I would ever need 5 gallons. I will know when I get a few batches done.

Mike
Nitric goes fast. I hope you need a lot more sooner than you think. Actually, I find a 1 gallon plastic jug about the safest container to handle.

I actually use 4-1 gallon Arm and Hammer laundry detergent jugs for my nitric. They have a pour spout on them and a cup for a lid.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-2x-Ultra-Liquid-Laundry-Detergent-For-Sensitive-Skin-150-oz/19407683

I went over to Industrial Chemical this morning and got two 2.5L bottles of the reagent grade hno3. Came in glass bottles. Cost was $40 each.

Like GSP said, they have 5 gallons of the tech grade 62% stuff for $40 and a $275 deposit on the SS container.

I also got some other supplies like stir rods, pipettes, bottles, etc. They had a large box of pipettes that a customer gave back to them and she gave me 7 or 8, no charge. She also said the 1500ml pyrex beakers are $15 and the 2000ml are $22. Sure was nice to purchase some of this stuff without shipping charges tacked on!

Nice place and nice lady!

Finally got my first batch cookin! Takin good notes.

Mike

Anyone know of a place in orange county Califor
I have to drive to Los ageles through the gold
District, major traffic,,pay parking., 50 or so miles
One way
42%@17.00 i think 2 or 3 liters
Thanks Steyr223 rob

Latest posts

Back