Nitric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbowden

Hey all, I found a place 3 miles from my house that sells Nitric Acid. I have a couple of questions. First is which to buy. theres a Nitric Acid 50% v/v NIST (not sure what v/v NIST stasnds for) 1 liter for $46.35. Then there is a Nitric Acid 6.0n(6.0M)NIST, 1 liter for $45.90. Lastly there is a Nitric Acid, ACS. 1 liter for $47.00. If i could get somone to explain the differences in these and which would be best to use, and if these are good prices. I figure they are ok because I wont have to pay the hazmat shipping fee if I order online. thanks again in advance for all the help everyone. Also what do the abreviations stand for?

Forgot.... I am not refining anything yet I am still in the learning/ collecting phase. But when I do start I will be refining cpu's, gold fingers, cell phones ect untill I'm familiar enough to move into some other areas of refining.

Not sure about the others but the v/v means volume/volume. In other words, it is half concentrated nitric, about 70%, and half water. This is the mix that a lot of us use for dissolving.

It is extremely over-priced but, since you're in the learning stage with small amounts, it's OK, I guess. When you get to the production stage, definitely look for a cheaper source. In drum quantities, 67% is only $3-$4 per gallon. The 50%(v/v) will work for most anything we do, including aqua regia.

It would be nice if people put where they are in the world because other members could help them out of where to look in their area.

Where are you located?

Eric

Latest posts

Back