nitric and gold filled question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i assumed he substituted sodium nitrate in AR without adding heat. just because he added the nitrate to boiling water first is of no consequence but if he didnt add the hcl then it would have been a problem.

Geo said:
i assumed he substituted sodium nitrate in AR without adding heat. just because he added the nitrate to boiling water first is of no consequence but if he didnt add the hcl then it would have been a problem.

I see where you are coming from there Geo, I was assuming that he was making nitric acid because of the title of the thread. Not quite sure which of us he was thanking or maybe both of us, whichever it was between us we have probably put him on the right track.

yep, either way it has to be heated. and if he didnt use sulfuric like you said, it was a problem too.

yes i was attempting to make nitric acid to recover the gold instead of diluted 70% nitric i had used prior..
the boiling water was used just to disolve the sodium nitrate easier and the thinking of a little added extra heat in hopes of kick starting the reaction..but like you said i need to add sulfuric acid to the solution in order to make nitric or is what your saying is using sodium nitrate is only used in place of nitric when making AR?

poor man's nitric or one pot method nitric acid. you need a nitrate and sulfuric acid and heat. this is very dangerous as the fumes are deadly. you have to mix these in close proximity to the reaction vessel. it should be done in a fume hood or at least outside with a strong breeze. never stand over the pot or down wind.

look for Butcher's thread "killing two birds with one stone".

is it more dangerous than 70% nitric? ...(the fumes)
and yes ive been working on this project out doors with a strong fan next to my mantel

the fumes are the same as when you dissolve metal with nitric acid. NO2 or NOx is kind of a general term to cover the chemical name of the gas emitted from the different processes. its the red fumes you see. when you breath it into your lungs, it reacts to the water there to create nitric acid. the damage it causes is irreversible. it causes pulmonary edema (swelling of lung tissue) and depending on factors like allergy's and susceptibility to chemicals and of coarse prior breathing problems, it can kill you days after exposure.

what all this means is, be very careful with this stuff however you deal with it. it is very unforgiving.

Latest posts

Back