Nitric / AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamthe3

I've noticed elsewhere that formulas for AR also state X amount solution per Y amount metal.

Is there also a guideline for how much Nitric per X amount of metal??

Thanks,
John

It is generally accepted that an ounce of nitric mixed with no less than 4 parts HCl will dissolve a troy ounce of gold.

Harold

Sorry--fluid ounce---volume. I also advise more than 4 parts HCl. It does no harm and insures you use all of the nitric, assuming you haven't introduced too much for the task at hand. That's one of the reasons Chris (GSP) recommends you add all of the HCl, then winnow the nitric. If you're good at making a judgment when you need more nitric, it eliminates using too much.

The only reason I don't like that process is that as the solution becomes more and more voluminous, the added nitric is slower and slower to react. That's especially true when you have but traces of undissolved values, and a lot of solution. Imagine using that process when you dissolve 15 or more ounces.

I saw evidence of that when I'd evaporate with an added button of gold. It's difficult to see any action until the solution has evaporated considerably. For me, it was far easier to use what I expected I'd need, then allow the button to consume any remnants. Saved me a lot of time. YMMV.

Harold

Thank you so much for the response. Is there also an amount by volume for just nitric when dissolving silver?

Latest posts

Back