nitric solution after dissolving base metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

after dissolving base metals and filtrating t o get the gold out,one is left with a nitric solution---
To this nitric solution i added iron and obtained copper(impure)----with this impure copper i made a copper anode and a stainless steel cathode ---i noticed that the(pure?) copper deposited in the cathode had some golden stains ---could be gold?----if there is gold i thought it would deposited , or in the bagged anode or in the botton of the vessel as anodic mud-------
question:could nitric acid dissolve base metals and some gold together? or all the gold tailings should remain as gold tailings?
thanks for coments
Arthur

arthur kierski said:
question:could nitric acid dissolve base metals and some gold together?
Nitric acid, alone, will not dissolve gold. That would be particularly true when base metals are present, which, would immediately cement gold, even if some did dissolve due to contamination (chlorides).
Or all the gold tailings should remain as gold tailings?
I would expect that all of the gold would be left behind. The only exception I can think of is if the gold is very finely divided, and some goes through the filter. When inquarting, I always avoided getting the gold too low, so it would remain intact. That virtually assures you do not have that problem. When processing silver, after running a few thousand ounces through my cell, I'd never recover more than a few dwt's of gold. Likely transferred with the nitrates sent to have the silver cemented.

I am at a loss to understand what you see as gold in the deposit, but I expect that it has nothing to do with gold. Copper is generally parted from a sulfuric electrolyte, not nitric. Gold won't dissolve in either of them, so it would have no reason to co-deposit on the cathode. I'd look to nickel being transferred (from the stainless), if even that.

Harold

thanks HAROLD for your patience in helping me to clear some questions which seems so obvious,but sometimes cross my way-----your experience and comom sense makes all the diference to me-----its very good to be in a forum which have persons like you---
regards and thanks again
Arthur

Harold, in your expiriance, would you think maybe Zinc could have reached a threshold where it co-deposited with copper giving gold color elusion ?

Just throwing ideas...

samuel-a
now that's what id call brass-tacks get it hehe.lol id say a pretty fair assumption.
~*Jay*~

samuel-a said:
Harold, in your expiriance, would you think maybe Zinc could have reached a threshold where it co-deposited with copper giving gold color elusion ?

Just throwing ideas...
Certainly a consideration, albeit the wrong chemistry. Zinc plating is typically a chloride solution, and I have read that there is an alkaline process as well. It could well be that several elements are extracted in this process, which may well be sensitive to voltage in determining what is extracted. How nice it would be to have a degree in chemistry, so all of this would make more sense.

Harold

Harold_V said:
How nice it would be to have a degree in chemistry, so all of this would make more sense.
Never forget that you have a degree in refining that most chemists would envy.

Oz said:
Harold_V said:
How nice it would be to have a degree in chemistry, so all of this would make more sense.
Never forget that you have a degree in refining that most chemists would envy.
Plus, we've seen here on the forum how a degree can actually be a hindrance at times. :wink: :wink:

Back