nitric solution too thick for filtration....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filtering a hot or a cold solution isn't something that should be done never or always. It is something that should be decided of circumstances.

If I have gold foils from fingers and other scrap dissolved in copper chloride, i.e. metallic gold with dissolved crap, then cooling the solution only makes it harder to filter and lower the solubility of the metals.
As seen in this thread a gold filled digestion would probably have filtered just fine before ice cubes were added. Cooled it became a mess.

If I have gold chloride in solution and I want to get rid of silver chloride then dilution and cooling the solution before filtration is a perfect way to accomplish that.

This is why it's advantageous to understand what is happening when we mix different solutions, dissolve metals or dilute liquids.
I actually recommend looking at some youtube videos on organic chemistry. The way they crash out products by varying the solubility or mix different solvents is fascinating. Some techniques are really good, re-crystallization for example can produce very pure chemicals. As an experiment I tried making copperas and re-crystallize the first part that came out when evaporating the water.
How about these crystals, apparently I super saturated the solution as this grew just in a few hours. :mrgreen:
Copperas-1.jpg

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I tried making copperas and re-crystallize the first part that came out when evaporating the water.
How about these crystals, apparently I super saturated the solution as this grew just in a few hours. :mrgreen:
Copperas-1.jpg

Göran

Looks good to me!
Love the way copperas crystals layer upon themselves and make a sort of step-up, plateau.
Science is beautiful

Latest posts

Back