Nitrile Gloves and Nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcorley001

I apologize if this is not the place to post this but it is or should be a concern in "chemical process" I first started playing with recovery and refining years ago and stopped for several reasons. At that time, as now, I've used Red Fuming Nitric. Allways chemical resistant gloves. Occasionally at that time I would use the lighter vinyl and almost purchased Nitrile gloves. I'm glad now that I never did. The following post on youtube is titled "Fire without matches". Go to 7:28 on the video and watch the reaction of red fuming nitric acid and a piece of Nitrile glove. It will scare you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYiyFkfxQU&feature=channel&list=UL. Again I apologize if thepost or link are innapropriate. If the post needs to be moved I trust the moderators will inform me.

dude that's intense. I knew nitrile gloves don't protect from nitric, but nothing like that. I'm betting it only works at high concentrations, though.

They were using red fuming nitric acid for the experiment. Most commercially available nitric acid has a concentration of 68%. When the solution contains more than 86% HNO3, it is referred to as fuming nitric acid.

Nobody needs Red-fuming Nitric acid to refine Gold or Silver,

That video looked like an accident waiting to happen. Posting that video was not wise, since there may be others on this board who might try some of those experiments and hurt themselves or others. It would not look good, if an investigation of an accident, found that the victim found the instructions here.

Some people are an accident waiting to happen.

My apologies to all. This was not my intention for the post. My concern was more for the safety of someone who might use Nitrile gloves in the sense of "some" protection while they are using this form of Nitric. At the time, it was all that was available in my market and a gallon was $18.00. If the moderators feel the thread is dangerous I invite the deletion. There are those that would undertake aspects of these processes with no protection whatsoever. And those that would undertake them with only minimal protection. Possibly ignoring a drop or more of Nitric on a glove that through in my case, an unknown reaction could self combust. When your hands are on fire it's hard to think of where to set the acid. This post was meant only for safety and hopefully prevent an accident.. Again my apologies..

No need to delete the post, for it does contain information that can be useful. It's clear to me the purpose was to post helpful advice, not to promote something evil.

I do have a question about the acid to which you referred as red fuming nitric. I expect that is not the case. What I do think is that you have nothing more than tech grade nitric, possibly 68%. Can you please disclose what the label says?

The reason I suggest what I do is that nitric acid yields the familiar red fumes we saw in the film, and is a known oxidizer. It need not be fuming, speaking from a technical standpoint. While I am familiar with the term, clearly, in all my years of refining, I never experienced fuming red nitric. It would have no place in the refinery, and I would suspect it would be far more difficult to obtain than concentrated nitric.

What I found interesting is that you managed to buy a gallon for only $18. While it's still a horrible rip-off, it's one of the best prices I've witnessed for small volumes of nitric acid. Some folks here have paid upwards of $60/gallon.

If everything appears to be in order, and your purchase was just tech grade nitric, sharing the source with the readers could prove to be very helpful.

Harold

The video is interesting and shows some dangers that could happen in a lab from mixing chemicals with each other, although these reactions in the video were planned, and performed under controlled conditions, with small amounts of chemicals, and the reactions were performed in a safe manner, think of what could happen if these reactions, or worse were not planned like a beaker exploding in your face, this makes it clear to me that we should be very careful of what chemical we are using, when and why with a good understanding of what the reaction will do, it also shows us it is not good to experiment with unknown chemicals or try to reinvent the wheel by trying unknown reactions in chemistry, as the metals we refine can make dangerous reactions with acids and other chemicals, following known procedures not only helps us to get the values with good results but keeps us from harming ourselves while doing it.

The one I thought was interesting and a bit scary was the magnesium silver nitrate and water.

Harold, over 10 years ago the supply house here carried what was labeled as "Red Fuming Nitric". I had stopped processing any materials when we closed our office. I've only recently begun again and am still buying Nitric from the same supplier. It is no longer labeled "Red Fuming". The current label is "Nitric Acid" on the first line and Technical on the second. I'm paying Just under $18. including tax as a walk in customer. I don't know if the price is a result of clearing out stock or old stock. At one point I know they were carrying it in a special drum and the deposit was incredible. I still have most of the last gallon I purchased and when I asked about remaining inventory I got the impression there was not much left. I'm experimenting with some small batches of hcl/cl because i've always had a healty respect for the dangers inherrant with using Nitric. The only acid I've used that was more aggressive was hydroflouric. My source for both was a local supply house here in San Angelo. I hope this answers any questions. If not, please let me know.

Thanks for your timely response.
I'm far from an authority on nitric acid, but I believe what I said may be correct. Here's a link that might throw a little light on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_fuming_nitric_acid

I would expect that because of the additional constituents, they would be required to label the acid in question properly. If, by chance, I'm wrong, please do bring it to my attention. We all stand to benefit.

At any rate, for small packages of nitric, you have certainly landed a bargain.

Harold

Latest posts

Back