Noob ? about SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all noob here, o.k. i've done evrything up to the point where I need to percipitate. I have powder SMB my question is do I mix this with water or something and add it to my AuCl3 ? If so how much smb do I add to the water then how much of that do I pour into my AuCl3 ? :D

I have found that dissolving SMB in a little warm water works better than direct powder. You should add 1 gram of SMB per gram of gold expected in you solution.

Thanks so much for your help it is greatly appreciated. I'm still a little confused about the SMB mix. In the SMB video clip only a small amout was poured from the Mason Jar into the AuCl3 with good reaction. So if I do it like the clip showed, about how much SMB would be in the jar of how much water , beings that the whole jar was'nt poured in ? I've been doing everything just like the clips showed up to this point and everything has gone great :D . Is there like a standard mix ratio for the SMB and water. Also the water in my area has very heavy mineral deposit. Will that effect reaction, and would it work better if I use distilled water ? Thanks again for the help. :D

Rob,

If your water is prone to contaminates, I would go with distilled.

The amount of water should be keep to a minimum so the volume of your solution does not drastically increase. Estimate the grams of SMB needed as twice the grams of gold expected. Use just enough water to dissolve this amount of SMB.

I prefer to use mine dry no days.

Steve

Oh o.k. thank you much. My AP must have got too much water during a rinse because it turn a pretty lite blue color :lol: . Good thing i'm doing this in a small test batch :)

Latest posts

Back