Nortel CPU and gel

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimmer

I recently acquired some Nortel CPUs. After I was finally able to remove the top cover, I find that the chip and bonding wires are encapsulated with a type of gel. I have use other type gels in the past and have seen similar to this, I am at a loss as how to remove it. I have tried paint thinner as I have used it in the past for other types of gel materials.

Any ideas on how to remove? I have added pictures to help. I have scrapped the gel into a pile on top of the chip (one on the right side).

Unfortunately they do not have gold plated pins to add to the gold recovery.

Attachments

• Nortel Chip.jpg
    Nortel Chip.jpg
    166 KB
I would try carbeurator cleaner,gas or diesel fuel.But obviously dont get near your torch with it....or your new name will be oldburnedtimmer.lol.
Hope this helps.
Johnny

I tried to burn that gel off of an old automotive ECM. It takes alot of heat and it wants to swell up to like 5 times its normal volume. It turns white and fluffy, and tries to go airborn. Nasty sticky stuff. Burns very much like the silicone cualking in a tube. Kinda reminds me of what happens when you hit a piece of galvanized steel with a cutting torch.
I would try to find something that will disolve it.
Just a thought
Ray

Back