Nothing like the first time...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevyncent

Tonight, after oh 8 months or so, I got a strong SMB drop....why 8 months you might ask? well, lets just say i got ahead of myself a bit, on any number of occasions, to the point were i had ALOT of containers of varying sizes containing solutions of various colors..... hmmmmm..... So two weeks ago i did what has been suggested on this site half a million times.... STOP! read, read, and read some more... which i did (not to mention bought a couple of steves cd's and some supplies he sells, thx by the way!) after reading till my eyes hurt i gathered all my mystery sloutions together, whipped up a fresh batch of stannous and started testing... after i got all my positive test solutions together, well....... i combined them all :p threw them on the cooker and evaporated it all down to the crispy's ( not totally crispy just were the top edge of solution was growing some crystals, thick though).

-at this point i would like to mention that in the last 8 months every time i have evaporated to remove excess nitric, for some reason i have NEVER once seen the tell tale "brown" nitric smoke when the last of it is expelled.... why?

anyway, after that i added a little hcl, then about twice the volume in water, filtered, and then threw it all in a hot pot and hated it steamy....
next i made a solution of SMB, diluted in really hot water, and added about half..... and ......and

boom, just like in all your videos, heavy brown bubbly cloud, instantly appeared..... was like waaaayyyyyyyyyyy cool!!! totally all jacked up right now :lol:

thx to all you guys for your help, though i never actually posted any questions, you all answered them time and time again..

i cant wait to get a bigggg batch!!

Dont be so excited.
Some more reading is required.
Where I see mistake is that you just precipitated some gold along with other garbage from dirty solution.
If that would be me then I would just introduced copper to let goodies cement out from solution.
Then, I would decant, filter and make fresh AR and dissolve what was cemented by copper. That then would be properly filtered and ready for SMB.
Whatever would be precipitated will be properly washed and refined second time.
But that is just me.

Congratulations on getting your materials into a more recognizable state and for reading rather than just posting questions. However I feel Patnor is right but never mind your precipitate can be saved for further refining, a good use could be to add to solutions which have too much oxidiser in them to consume them and make that precipitation easier rather than evaporating. Don't forget to check your solutions for any values with stannous before neutralising and safe disposal.

Latest posts

Back