ok, heres the situation and question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritehere

Paced 100 grams (50 g of computer pins and 50g of jewlery) into fresh AP solution. Gold deplated in about two hours leaving nothing but the garbage behind. The material was strained,washed, and filtered three times with very little of the gold flakes in filter.
Now I had my uncle assisting me with this, and here is where I am confused.
The poured off solution was a bright deep yellow, and he went ahead and added smb to this solution. Stirred it in vigorously for about five minutes.
the solution darkened to a golden orange juice color. It never went clear, nor did it go to a brown or black color.
This solution was not tested with stannous liquid.
Will gold drop over time from this?
Do I add more SMB?
What is the best thing to do with this solution?
Or should I simply wait overnight and see the results?

hmmm, two hours? my AP process usually takes a few days. are you sure your talking about the right process?

Was any of your base metal (jewelery) magnetic?

Iron can give a yellow solution.

You do need stannous chloride to prove gold in solution.

If gold did go into solution briefly (from to much peroxide) and you had base metal left the gold is likely a solid unrecognized mud on the base metals.

Set this aside until you have read more on testing with stannous you need to know where the gold is before you go chasing it.

ritehere said:
Paced 100 grams (50 g of computer pins and 50g of jewlery) into fresh AP solution. Gold deplated in about two hours leaving nothing but the garbage behind.
Were you using 30% +/- peroxide? It is difficult to believe that pins dissoved that fast,and even harder to believe jewelry stripped that fast,unless it was 30+% peroxide,or it was nitric and peroxide.Can you double check your notes?

Yes using 30% peroxide. Just tested liquid and it was negative for gold. However the gold did participate as a dark mun onto the jewlery. So it wasn't lost at least.
But thanks for the responses everyone

If too much oxidizer your gold will not precipitate. It also will not show up in a stannous chloride test even if it does have gold, the oxidizer will keep the gold dissolved, try removing excess oxidizer from a sample portion and retest it.

The deep yellow solution you poured off could also have had gold in it.

Iron chloride is normally green not yellow, some form of iron hydroxide can be yellow to red.

using 35%h2o2 ,for my personal expereience is a mess
test what you have with stanous,if positive (you know where your gold is)
if negative(you dont know where your gold is)
i just has the same probleme last week
evaporate your solution down
redisolve everything with HCL/CL
evaporate chlorine off it
then drop with smb
hope this help

in my case i had disolve gold in 35%h2o2 ,aand add smb ... nothing no precipitation ,no gold on stannous :shock: ....
i put it on the heat thinking too much oxidizer than retested it with stannous, still nothing....
i end up having my gold stuck in chrystal hard like hell to dissolve with hcl. but gold was still there
moral ,i will not use h2o2 to dissolve gold anymore...except to experiment...

Latest posts

Back