Okay how do i turn a palladium one gram bar into powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. We need a special place for complex and specifically intolerant scientific questions.
I'll ask on Sciencemadness forum :)

I agree. We need a special place for complex and specifically intolerant scientific questions.
I'll ask on Sciencemadness forum :)
I was just pointing out that we do not make illegal substances here and we'd rather not discuss it either.
I really do not know if it can be used for that in the first place ;)

Most likely - no. Palladium organic complexes are used in experimental cancer drugs.
I meant uses as catalyst for certain types of reactions in organic chemistry :) Which can be misused. More pronounced is palladium on carbon catalyst, and in many countries OTC resell is banned.
But I am just speculating here. Fact that it can be misused do not mean that it will be, of course :)

Something like this ? R-M + X'-R2 - [Pd] - R-R2 + MX ?
It is a too complex part of chemistry for most criminals :)

Last edited:
All options provide an acceptable metal yield from a practical point of view.
I agree - or as the saying goes - "there is more then one way to skin a cat"
Cementation of palladium will not give equal results to chemical precipitation at the same (!) time.

The results you get (concerning your precipitated metal powders) depends a great deal on many conditions/factors regardless of if the precipitation is done chemically or by cementation

such as -------

1) are you precipitating from a relatively clean solution (only 1 or 2 metals other then your target metal) or a solution with lots of garbage (multiple metals in solution)

2) precipitating from a very concentrated solution - or a very dilute solution (has effect on particle size)

3) how selective is the precipitant --- example - gold precipitation with PGMs in solution - SMB is selective for gold but can also drag down "some" (trace) of PGM --- so copperas is more selective

etc. etc. etc.
selective precipitation of palladium is ensured only by dimethylglyoxime.

Though DMG is very selective for Pd - depending on conditions/factors it to does not "insure" good/clean precipitation --- picture - the bowl on the right shows DMG/Pd precipitate from a relatively clean solution (Ag/Pd only) - bowl on the left shows DMG/Pd precipitate from very heavy base metal solution (including nickel) = contaminated DMG/Pd precipitate

Side note; - bowl at bottom is calcined DMG/Pd

The point I am getting to here is that the results of the metal powders you precipitate from any solution depend on the precipitation conditions/factors - & that includes the conditions/factors used in precipitating metals with cementation

There are many conditions/factors that you can alter/change with cementation to give you different desired results - & that even includes cementing the metals out of solution as pure (999 plus) metals

Cementation is not just limited to putting a slab of copper (or zinc) in a solution & waiting for the ion exchange to take place to cement out the PMs

Things that determine the results of your cemented metal powders (PMs) are ----

1) temp of solution during cementation (2) concentrated solution or dilute solution (3) agitation or no agitation (4) using a sold slab of copper (or zinc) or using copper (or zinc) powder to cement your PMs --- etc. etc.
If you have several days for 99,9% precipitation
Per the bold print - it most certainly does not take several days for complete cementation of your PMs from solution - there is absolutely no reason why you can not have all of your PMs cemented from solution within a few hours
If you have several days for 99,9% precipitation
That is what you get with chemical precipitation - the whole reason for cementation - after chemical precipitation - is to recover that 00.1 % left behind after chemical precipitation

The point I am trying to make here is that in as much as chemical precipitation most certainly has it's place - so does cementation

Cementation is not just a put a slab of copper in solution for "recovery" process --- done right - using different conditions/factors you "in fact" can use it for the precipitation of pure metals (999 plus) & even to a degree control particle size
The problem I actually touched on is the inability to obtain palladium powder suitable for catalysis due to parasitic coagulation and alien ions capture during the cementation process.
Per the bold print - there are ways to prevent/overcome that with cementation
The problem I actually touched on is the inability to obtain palladium powder suitable for catalysis

We can assume that (being as he did not say what he wants the powder for) but we can also assume he just wants to make a solder/braze paste or a precious metal casting clay - in which case cementation powder would work perfectly fine ;) ;)

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20150105_002.jpg
    WP_20150105_002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back