old acids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapit

I have a really old friend that has a couple of gallons of different acids like nitric and muriatic acid that he has had for a long time. So my question is does acid breakdown over time and if it was not sealed tightly would it be bad. And what would I use to transport acid in, a glass container or a stainless container? Some insight on this topic would be greatly apreceated.

The muriatic should be ok. If the top is not sealed if I remember right it can pull moisture from the air. I had some that was about 5-6 yrs old and used it and it did fine. Plastic bottles would be best. Others will have to answer about the nitric.

Had to go back in time the acid I had before the trade centers were hit.

Scrapit,

Need a little more info...

What type of container was it stored in? Opaque, clear, amber bottle, etc.? How long? Temperature? Exposure to sunlight? You mention "if it was not sealed tightly ", do you see anything that makes you question seal's integrity?

The bottles I had still had the plastic protector seal under the cap. A couple of the bottles had developed blisters in the plastic. Oh did I mention it was stored in plastic bottles. :p . It had been stored outside in a wooden cabinet at my shop so it had been thru many temperature changes. Not much sunlight, that will degrade the plastic. I have one bottle in another cabinet that gets exposure to the sun and the plastic craked on it. So be careful. White plastic bottles.

the guy said it was being stored in a bottle in a box surounded by foam. i didnt see it i was leaving his place when i remembered i needed some acid and thought he might have some. im going to go back and check it out later in the week.
will the acids be ok in plastic container or would glass or stainless be better. he also mentioned it was laboratory grade acid.
he also has a ton of misc beakers and lab glass that he wants to get rid of and about 2000 glass test tubes

scrapit said:
the guy said it was being stored in a bottle in a box surounded by foam. i didnt see it i was leaving his place when i remembered i needed some acid and thought he might have some. im going to go back and check it out later in the week.
will the acids be ok in plastic container or would glass or stainless be better. he also mentioned it was laboratory grade acid.
he also has a ton of misc beakers and lab glass that he wants to get rid of and about 2000 glass test tubes

Check that bottle, stored in foam seems to me it would be glass, you may want the bottle
getting lab glass cheap is the way to go seems like it breaks easy to me but it is handy

Latest posts

Back