Old can with 5kg HCl 25%

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solar_plasma

I have this old can with 5kg HCl 25%, would that work for chlorox-method (recovery)? Mostly I read about HCl above 30% and also Lazersteve uses 31,5% in his video. But my 33% HCl I would like to keep for refining.

I use heat, heat evaporates water, this concentrates the acids, so I do not mind if the acid is more dilute, as metals dissolve with heat the acids get stronger and dissolve more metals as they concentrate, many times I want the solutions a little more dilute, this way the acids are not wasted as bad as fumes,and I can heat them, so when you first begin heating the water in solution keeps the acid fumes down, the gases forming just stay and redissolve in the water, kind of reforming acid in solution instead of just gassing out of solution (until they reach their azeotrope).

HCl is a gas dissolved in water to make hydrochloric acid called HCl acid.
NO2 gas dissolved in water makes HNO3 nitric acid.

Acids at their azeotrope if heated decompose as gas (vapor off as acid gas), if diluted they can be heated to drive off mostly water until they reach azeotrope further heating drives off the acid as fumes at that concentration.

I use heat, heat evaporates water, this concentrates the acids, so I do not mind if the acid is more dilute,

Thanks, butcher! Then I know now I can't use it directly in plastic vessels like lazersteve does in his video, but only in my normal small batches in borosilicat vessels. Or I concentrate it first until it has the specific weight of over 30% HCl. Good to know.

solar_plasma said:
I use heat, heat evaporates water, this concentrates the acids, so I do not mind if the acid is more dilute,

Thanks, butcher! Then I know now I can't use it directly in plastic vessels like lazersteve does in his video, but only in my normal small batches in borosilicat vessels. Or I concentrate it first until it has the specific weight of over 30% HCl. Good to know.

Your 25% HCL acid is going to work fine for the Chlorox aka bleach mehtod, since this leach is used cold - plastic vessel is OK.

The only time it would be desirable to heat the leach is at the end just before precipitation to drive off any excess chlorine. A gentle warming is all that is needed or leave the vessel open for a few days the chlorine will evaporate. Just keep it out doors, and remember that chlorine is heavier than air so keep it away from low basement entries.

Latest posts

Back