Oxalic Acid- Which variety to use ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainsofgold

Supporting Member
I have looked at Chemical Stores that sell Oxalic Acid and they seem to sell various varieties of this acid-

I am not a chemist and do not know what the varieties are used for so I thought I would ask for guidance here.

What is the exact name of the form of very pure Oxalic Acid powder that should be used to precipitate gold -

And lastly what ratio of Oxalic acid does one use to the amount of gold that needs to be dropped?

Thanks in advance-

Art

Oxalic acid is a white powder.

When precipitating gold from AR sln, Oxalic will drop some base metals as well but not other PGMs.

Oxalic is best used as a precipitant in a second refining.

grainsofgold said:
I have looked at Chemical Stores that sell Oxalic Acid and they seem to sell various varieties of this acid-

I am not a chemist and do not know what the varieties are used for so I thought I would ask for guidance here.

What is the exact name of the form of very pure Oxalic Acid powder that should be used to precipitate gold -

And lastly what ratio of Oxalic acid does one use to the amount of gold that needs to be dropped?

Thanks in advance-

Art
The oxalic acid I just bought a few days ago is the dihydrate form I believe. I use it not for precipitation but to dissolve iron precipitate from an ore leach. It's thousands of times stronger than vinegar. It can be dangerous... DO NOT get any of it in your eyes, mucus membranes, lungs, nose, etc. It's fairly safe to use but a little in the wrong part of the body will kill you or at least make you wish you were dead.

Noxx said:
Oxalic acid is a white powder.

When precipitating gold from AR sln, Oxalic will drop some base metals as well but not other PGMs.

Oxalic is best used as a precipitant in a second refining.

The oxalic acid I just bought a few days ago is the dihydrate form I believe--

Thanks Noxx- I am wanting to know what form of Oxalic acid or form of it is the purest one that we should use to drop gold from either AR gold solution or after you use DBG?

Fisher Scientific sells multiple forms of Oxalic acid and I am not not which one is best for the application above-

Thank you-

Art

Oh, then I suppose you should go for A.C.S.

You don't want any insoluble material in your gold, don't you ?

Oh, then I suppose you should go for A.C.S.

I realize that I should know this but what is A.C.S. grade mean in layman's terms -

I see there is:

OXALIC ACID, ACS REAGENT
Oxalic Acid Dihydrate ACS, Ricca Chemical*
Oxalic Acid Dihydrate, Reagent ACS
Oxalic Acid ACS AR Crystal, Mallinckrodt Baker
Oxalic Acid Dihydrate (Crystalline/Certified ACS), Fisher Chemical

Are the above all about the same?

Thanks

Art ( chemist wanna be)

Hi Mad Scientist,

They are all the same, indeed but not from the same manufacturer.

If I was you, I would take the cheapest.

By the way, I need oxalic acid as well. If you end up buying in bulk, please let me know !

Thanks

Latest posts

Back