oxidized metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as im stationed in korea

Just a thought...I heard electronics are very cheap in korea, then e-scrap may be cheap too. So, maybe you can gather some good (flatpacks, fingers, pins, mlcc's, some cpu's - buy mainboards, cell phones (search on the forum, for yield data and pricing) and cards, cherrypick 'em and sell them again, - a nice evening work after going off duty, you need some small pliers, chisel and screwdrivers. try to avoid making dust, it can contain lead or maybe beryllium oxide from ceramics) and cheap material over there until you go back to the states.

Thank you for the support guys. Sorry I haven't responded for a few days works been keeping me busy the past week. Lots and lots to do. Yes i have Bleach. When I said shore I meant the patent that was filed. It has the system how it works and why it works. basically it is a saline electrolyte cell with the anode and cathode separated by a ceramic clay or cellophane barrier so the dissolved gold forms AuCl instead of plating to the anode then use a little SMB to precipitate the gold made a super low quality version from a cigarette wrapper and a old laptop battery charger. worked slow but steady. Laptop charger was only pushing 2 amps I'm guessing with 15-20 amps the process would be much faster. either way it worked ok with what I had haven't precipitated the results yet to see if it worked properly or not but from what I can tell as of now it did what it was meant to do. By the way is there any real alternative to SMB Ive been doing some looking around and the closest I can fins is some guy talking about stumpout (Which I grantee i cant find here)

By the way is there any real alternative to SMB Ive been doing some looking around and the closest I can fins is some guy talking about stumpout (Which I grantee i cant find here)

There are a lot of possibilities, though sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite are in most cases for several reasons the preferred method.

Try a search on copperas, oxalic acid, cementation, in special cases alkali hydroxides (not in your case), SO2, - just to mention a few. But you won't get happy with any method without having read enough about it, even if you have not much time. Then better wait and give it time, before you make a mess of half processed solutions that they will not allow you to take home to the US.

A few thoughts...

Why not ask someone on the forum to refine your bar for you? You might just find someone who can recover the values, and not put so much time effort and energy into attempting to refine something, that you probably shouldn't be attempting to refine?

Or if you are truly intent on refining your bar, try thinking about it as recovering the copper instead of recovering the gold. Your bar is probably well over 95% copper, which makes it an ideal candidate to refine using a copper electrolytic cell. In recovering the copper, you will be leaving behind the other metals as anode slim and can process them accordingly.

Whenever there is a metal that is of a higher percentage than another, I try to think it terms of recovering that metal first, if at all possible.

If you don't like any of the answers I have given you, there is another option for you. You can always ask the seller for a refund, and if he refuses contact ebay and deal with it that way. The way ebay has been operating lately, I believe you will get your money back, and probably end up being able to keep your bar anyway. So far as I am concerned, sticking it to the person who is selling this type of material would be giving them what they deserved.

Scott

Latest posts

Back