Palladium and Platinum without nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just posted this comment to Dirtychemist youtube video - For some reason when I posted it to his video (comments) it came out as one long post instead of broken up as posted here ----------------

Dirtychemist - This is Kurt from GRF (the - "Gold Refining Forum) you posted this video there on GRF --- I posted a reply in that thread pointing out the MANY mistakes, mis-information &/or incomplete information in this video of yours -You did not like my reply so you posted a "very rude & combative" reply which has now resulted in your being ban from that forum which is sad because you have no idea just how much you have thrown away concerning the VAST amount of knowledge & information at your finger tips concerning the recovery & refining of precious metals

There are members of the GRF that do/have ether owned &/or work(ed) for VERY large world class refineries & many of us that have been at this for many years & have reached a level of doing this as a small (home refining) "profitable" business --- SAFETY is your number one concern - & when we see something like this where safety is thrown out the window you can expect that we will comment in the hope that the poster will heed our warnings & start doing some real research to learn better & safer ways of doing this

Apparently (based on your "rude & combative" replies on GRF) you find yourself above those of us that have much more knowledge about metallurgical chemistry then yourself

This video is horribly filled with dangerous "mis-information" (as I told you on the GRF forum)

Using ammonium nitrate for making "Poor Mans" AR --- IS NOT a good choice of nitrate salts (used in place of nitric) there are MUCH safer nitrate salt's "available" that work just as well

Adding alcohol (of "any kind") which you used to prepare your DMG - to solutions of dissolved metal solutions is VERY dangerous - it "can & will" - PRECIPITATE - explosive compounds (of certain metals) so explosive they will explode under there own weight (as the precipitate builds up) & while wet (still in the solution it is precipitating from) --- alcohols have NO BUSINESS being used in refining

Chlorine is a "much" better oxidizer then nitrates for leaching PGMs from CATs --- I know this because I worked for one full year with a local scrap yard setting up "very" large volume leaching of CATs (35 gallon reaction vessels stacked "full" of CAT combs) --- its VERY dangerous & requires "special" set up & operation

Your thread (on GRF) has now been moved to the "Rogues Gallery" which is where we put "trash" which is what this video is - Anyone watching this video &/or reading this comment should NEVER follow this advice &/or any other advice posted by Dirtychemist --- he does not know what he is talking about - if you want to learn about recovering & refining PMs (precious metals) go to the GRF where you will learn from real pros - we are more then happy to help "those willing to learn

Kurt from GRF

kurtak said:
Just posted this comment to Dirtychemist youtube video - For some reason when I posted it to his video (comments) it came out as one long post instead of broken up as posted here ----------------

Dirtychemist - This is Kurt from GRF (the - "Gold Refining Forum) you posted this video there on GRF --- I posted a reply in that thread pointing out the MANY mistakes, mis-information &/or incomplete information in this video of yours -You did not like my reply so you posted a "very rude & combative" reply which has now resulted in your being ban from that forum which is sad because you have no idea just how much you have thrown away concerning the VAST amount of knowledge & information at your finger tips concerning the recovery & refining of precious metals

There are members of the GRF that do/have ether owned &/or work(ed) for VERY large world class refineries & many of us that have been at this for many years & have reached a level of doing this as a small (home refining) "profitable" business --- SAFETY is your number one concern - & when we see something like this where safety is thrown out the window you can expect that we will comment in the hope that the poster will heed our warnings & start doing some real research to learn better & safer ways of doing this

Apparently (based on your "rude & combative" replies on GRF) you find yourself above those of us that have much more knowledge about metallurgical chemistry then yourself

This video is horribly filled with dangerous "mis-information" (as I told you on the GRF forum)

Using ammonium nitrate for making "Poor Mans" AR --- IS NOT a good choice of nitrate salts (used in place of nitric) there are MUCH safer nitrate salt's "available" that work just as well

Adding alcohol (of "any kind") which you used to prepare your DMG - to solutions of dissolved metal solutions is VERY dangerous - it "can & will" - PRECIPITATE - explosive compounds (of certain metals) so explosive they will explode under there own weight (as the precipitate builds up) & while wet (still in the solution it is precipitating from) --- alcohols have NO BUSINESS being used in refining

Chlorine is a "much" better oxidizer then nitrates for leaching PGMs from CATs --- I know this because I worked for one full year with a local scrap yard setting up "very" large volume leaching of CATs (35 gallon reaction vessels stacked "full" of CAT combs) --- its VERY dangerous & requires "special" set up & operation

Your thread (on GRF) has now been moved to the "Rogues Gallery" which is where we put "trash" which is what this video is - Anyone watching this video &/or reading this comment should NEVER follow this advice &/or any other advice posted by Dirtychemist --- he does not know what he is talking about - if you want to learn about recovering & refining PMs (precious metals) go to the GRF where you will learn from real pros - we are more then happy to help "those willing to learn

Kurt from GRF

Kudos Kurt. Well done. Hopefully your public service announcement will help keep some folks out of trouble. (And out of the emergency room!)

UncleBenBen said:
Kudos Kurt. Well done. Hopefully your public service announcement will help keep some folks out of trouble. (And out of the emergency room!)

IMO others should go to his video(s) & at the very least hit the dislike button (thumb down) if not post a negative comment - he needs to be shut down (IMO)

Kurt

Well spoke Kurt.

He definitely lives up to the "dirty" part of his "dirtychemist" youboob channel name.

Im actually shocked that he hasnt made 5 different log ons yet just to give us the ol' "what-for" and a piece of his mind.

People like that love to hand out their 2 cents quite liberally, and if people dont like it, they get pouty.. and then start throwing those two pennies around till somebody gives them some positive affirmation and strokes their ego a bit. ...or until they hit someone and get their butt spanked..

That new rogue gallery really is getting a workout already isnt it?

Edit to add: youtube wouldnt let me comment, but i thumbs down'd it, and reported/flagged the video as false and misleading... I doubt that will do anything, but maybe a copyright infringement would.. That always does it..

Maybe kadriver can report it and get it taken off, since the dirtychemist found it acceptable to link kadriver's good quality video's in his absolute trash "refinement video".... Although he put his name wrong by a letter..

mls26cwru said:
Crap! Autocorrect owns me far more than I care to admit :p. My "smart phone" is making me a dumb user :p

I didn't mean your words needed corrected :lol: , I'm so used to mis-spellings, that I didn't even notice yours. If you scroll up to nknewberry's last post, he uses a couple "choice" words.

kurtak said:
IMO others should go to his video(s) & at the very least hit the dislike button (thumb down) if not post a negative comment - he needs to be shut down (IMO)

Kurt

Done. Thumbs down and reported as dangerous information. I couldn't comment without creating a channel. I do have a video of me teaching my young nephew to "snipe hunt" I've been wanting to put up, so I may create one. (It's absolutely hilarious)

Good job guys one and all, we can't have members spouting dangerous information or practices it affects us all or will do eventually.
As a personal comment the only YouTube I ever watch are the ones posted by trusted members here or that are put on here for us to comment on, life's too short to watch most of the rubbish I have seen by others.

FrugalRefiner said:
Ooops! :oops: Sorry folks, nknewberry won't be able to answer any questions. My thumb bumped into the ban button.

Dave
Dang it, Dave! I was going to ask if I can have his pt and pd when he dies? Lol.

so, apparently "dirty chemist" is now "Explosive Eddy" with a new and even stupid-errr video about taking apart Pb batteries..

doing it with a sawz all outside, with no catch pan..no gloves..
..and no comment section

the comment section on his other video about Pt/Pd has magically vanished and had nothing when i looked at it recently.

reported

Topher_osAUrus said:
so, apparently "dirty chemist" is now "Explosive Eddy" with a new and even stupid-errr video about taking apart Pb batteries..

..and no comment section

the comment section on his other video about Pt/Pd has magically vanished and had nothing when i looked at it recently.

reported

Sometimes you just have to allow natural selection to run its course....

UncleBenBen said:
Topher_osAUrus said:

..and no comment section

reported

Sometimes you just have to allow natural selection to run its course....
This is one of the truest statements, no matter how hard you try some folks you just can't reach. That I'm learning more and more everyday!

Back