Palladium test with DMG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

Hello guys, i got 1 kg of cut realy contacts, i handled them with 22% nitric acid to get rid of the copper. it took about 2 hours with me to get the clean beads only. After that i did a DMG test for the copper nitrate solution as described in the forum to make sure that no significant amount of Pd has dissolved.
After adding the DMG solution to the sample i got a black cloud which vanishes after a minute as shown in the pic. Is this normal ? What it indicates.
Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221119-180417.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119-180417.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221119-180304.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119-180304.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello guys, i got 1 kg of cut realy contacts, i handled them with 22% nitric acid to get rid of the copper. it took about 2 hours with me to get the clean beads only. After that i did a DMG test for the copper nitrate solution as described in the forum to make sure that no significant amount of Pd has dissolved.
After adding the DMG solution to the sample i got a black cloud which vanishes after a minute as shown in the pic. Is this normal ? What it indicates.
Thank you
I wonder, are you meaning Stannous?
DMG should produce a fluffy yellow salt in contact with Pd.
How did you prepare your DMG?

No i mean a DMG test, i prepared 50 ml of distilled warm water and added few flakes of NaOH then added a spoon of DMG and stirred well until the DMG is totally vanished.

I posted just as you responded to Yggdrasil. It's probably the NaOH. NaOH will create precipitates with most metals. Cobalt, iron, and silver will all form brown precipitates. I don't use NaOH when making a DMG testing solution. It's very sparingly soluble, but enough dissolves for testing purposes.

Since you dissolved contacts, my guess would be silver. Test another sample by adding a drop or two of HCl or salt. If it forms a white, cottage cheesy precipitate, it's probably silver.

Dave

I posted just as you responded to Yggdrasil. It's probably the NaOH. NaOH will create precipitates with most metals. Cobalt, iron, and silver will all form brown precipitates. I don't use NaOH when making a DMG testing solution. It's very sparingly soluble, but enough dissolves for testing purposes.

Since you dissolved contacts, my guess would be silver. Test another sample by adding a drop or two of HCl or salt. If it forms a white, cottage cheesy precipitate, it's probably silver.

Dave
Thank you very much , you are right .
Should i denox the excess nitric by sulfamic before testing or precipitation ?
Also the beads now are on the hot plate since 2 hours in concentrated nitric acid but some of them hasnt dissolved yet, do you think thats platinum ?
Will it take too much time to dissolve the beads in hot concentrated nitric acid ?

Dave
Well, i denoxed excess nitric with sulfamic acid and added the DMG solution to the nitrate solution but no precipitate or yellow sponge has formed, i did a stannous test for the solution and i got the result shown.i uploaded The photo of the original solution too

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_214459_726.jpg
    IMG_20221119_214459_726.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221119_214453_665.jpg
    IMG_20221119_214453_665.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back