People are going mad

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eeTHr said:
GSP;

I guess that I felt that, by "melt value," the way the jeweler used it, that he meant whatever portion of the alloy was gold, and that he could only pay for a 22K portion because of his testing limitations.

Don

I read that an think the jeweller is expecting gold that is not intentionally alloyed which would be 24k, but since he can not test to prove 24k (got a bad feeling about this, what jeweller can't tell 24k) he will pay you 100 percent at 22k. He is not expecting alloyed gold.

Jim

Jim said:
I read that an think the jeweller is expecting gold that is not intentionally alloyed which would be 24k, but since he can not test to prove 24k (got a bad feeling about this, what jeweller can't tell 24k) he will pay you 100 percent at 22k. He is not expecting alloyed gold.
That's the way I see it.

We won't know for sure until goldenchild returns.
james122964 said:
If you give him 24k but he pays you 100 percent at 22k that is .916 percent of spot, not bad
What I'm wondering is, if he actually excpected 24K, then why didn't he just say "I'll pay you 90% of spot"? Why did he relate the price to his testing limitations instead?

And if he wasn't sure what the fineness was, how could he reliably alloy it for use?

On the other hand, if he was planning on using it as-is in jewelry, and selling that jewelry as 22K, then that means that his profit margin was based on paying 100% for 22K---and if that's the case, then what good would it be to give him 24K? It would be too soft, anyway.

james122964 said:
got a bad feeling about this, what jeweller can't tell 24k
I agree. There may have been a little more to the conversation than goldenchild felt was necessary to include in his post.

:idea:

Don

Wow what did I start here lol? Let me clear this all up. I brought in a 24k ingot that weighed exactly 31.1 grams. I asked how much he would give me for it and he said he would give me full value for what it would be worth if it was a 22k ingot. This is because (from what he told me) he has gotten screwed over by buying 24k and it turned out to be 22k. 22k acid is the highest he can test for I guess. He isnt a large scale operation I suppose. Decent size but not the biggest. So anyway... Instead of screwing myself over the 8.4 percent (2.6 grams) of the 31.1 grams of 24k, I will put 2.4 grams of silver (to be certain it is 22k) in it so that it WILL be 22k and I get full value. He said he will give me !!!100%!!! melt value. I have had him make me custom jewelry (I will post a pic soon) and have a good reputation with him. I guess thats why hes willing to do so. Ive seen him work and he doesnt do that for everyone. He has kind of taken a liking to me because I really know my stuff when it comes to gold. He gives me pointers on things everytime I see him. So... Why he cant test beyond 22k is really no concern of mine as long as hes giving me full value :p What hes using it for also no concern. Worst case scenario: he bait and switches and offers 91.6% melt value for 22k (which I would never accept) and I go back and refine it again and go elsewhere. Even still 91.6 percent melt is excellent. Im wondering how many people can say that. Oh and lastly: someone mentioned if it mattered what metal you used to alloy (and someone correct me if im wrong) but I would say no. It depends what you want. Especially at such a high karat like 22k. Do you guys know you can make gold any color under the sun? Check these links out. I plan on making a deep green dragon ring next.

http://jewelrymaking.allinfoabout.com/features/goldalloys.html

http://chemistry.about.com/od/jewelrychemistry/a/goldalloys.htm

PHEW hope this clears everthing up :mrgreen:

goldenchild said:
Wow what did I start here lol? Let me clear this all up. I brought in a 24k ingot that weighed exactly 31.1 grams. I asked how much he would give me for it and he said he would give me full value for what it would be worth if it was a 22k ingot. This is because (from what he told me) he has gotten screwed over by buying 24k and it turned out to be 22k. 22k acid is the highest he can test for I guess. He isnt a large scale operation I suppose. Decent size but not the biggest. So anyway... Instead of screwing myself over the 8.4 percent (2.6 grams) of the 31.1 grams of 24k, I will put 2.4 grams of silver (to be certain it is 22k) in it so that it WILL be 22k and I get full value. He said he will give me !!!100%!!! melt value. I have had him make me custom jewelry (I will post a pic soon) and have a good reputation with him. I guess thats why hes willing to do so. Ive seen him work and he doesnt do that for everyone. He has kind of taken a liking to me because I really know my stuff when it comes to gold. He gives me pointers on things everytime I see him. So... Why he cant test beyond 22k is really no concern of mine as long as hes giving me full value :p What hes using it for also no concern. Worst case scenario: he bait and switches and offers 91.6% melt value for 22k (which I would never accept) and I go back and refine it again and go elsewhere. Even still 91.6 percent melt is excellent. Im wondering how many people can say that. Oh and lastly: someone mentioned if it mattered what metal you used to alloy (and someone correct me if im wrong) but I would say no. It depends what you want. Especially at such a high karat like 22k. Do you guys know you can make gold any color under the sun? Check these links out. I plan on making a deep green dragon ring next.

http://jewelrymaking.allinfoabout.com/features/goldalloys.html

http://chemistry.about.com/od/jewelrychemistry/a/goldalloys.htm

PHEW hope this clears everthing up :mrgreen:

Be careful with alloys containing Cadmium. The fumes can make you very ill or worse.

Irons said:
Be careful with alloys containing Cadmium. The fumes can make you very ill or worse.

Truth. Heavy metal poisoning can't be fun. Tomorrow's the big day. I will see if my jeweler will keep his word. I alloyed my 24k brick with silver and it now weighs 33.8 grams.

Here is another interesting auction.

I sold my brick today for an interesting price. As I said I had alloyed my 24k brick with 2.4 grams of silver making it weight 33.8 grams. Since this was .2 grams short of the 2.8, when calculated, the gold would be calculated as just short of a troy ounce. 30.9608 to be exact. I told him that I calculated using grams and he said he used pennyweight. So he calculated it his way and came up with $1214.00. I wasnt complaining. He then scratch tested it and put a deep gash using a file into it and it was "perfect". I somehow got more than melt value for a troy ounce. 8) BTW the auction on my last post has been relisted. I wonder what happened there. 120499606963

Sorry to ask, but whats his name, location? Na, just kidding.
He gave you a good bit over spot on 24k for you 22k, not making much sense to me. Unless hes used to paying way over spot.
Well anyways seems good for you.

Jim

goldenchild;

Just to clarify: When you brought back your gold in the 33.8 gram piece, did you inform him that it was 22K this time? (I would assume that he knew it was a different piece, because of the weight difference.)

Don

eeTHr said:
goldenchild;

Just to clarify: When you brought back your gold in the 33.8 gram piece, did you inform him that it was 22K this time? (I would assume that he knew it was a different piece, because of the weight difference.)

Don

I told him in our first conversation that I was going to go back and make it 22k. So... Yes. He knew it was 22k. :)

Latest posts

Back