pins in AR-mess

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amon13

So i have 430g partly plated pins from conectors i decide to make a Hcl bath to remove the tin on the pins -ok i have done this.
After this i wash the pins with wather 3 times and one time with boiling water.After this i think to put the pins in nitric to remove the base metal(copper)
I add the nitric but it seems that is not enough -THAT WAS the moment when i do the BIG mistake i decide to add a litlle more Nitric but i pick up the wrong bottle with HCL......
So i made Aqua Regia and i dont know what to do
maybe i must put some copper in the solution to cement all the values .
or anything else please help :!:

If you still have base metals on the bottom and haven't dissolved everything that is where your gold is, on the bottom. Did you test the solution with stannous?

amon13 said:
I add the nitric but it seems that is not enough -THAT WAS the moment when i do the BIG mistake i decide to add a litlle more Nitric but i pick up the wrong bottle with HCL......

Safety first, Mark your acids carefully and always check what you have picked up before adding it to your reaction, then you can anticipate what will happen as a result of adding that acid, fumes can be deadly, explosions even worse

martyn111 said:
amon13 said:

Safety first, Mark your acids carefully and always check what you have picked up before adding it to your reaction, then you can anticipate what will happen as a result of adding that acid, fumes can be deadly, explosions even worse

To quote my Grandfather (again), "Measure it twice and cut it once."

By washing in hcl and not incinerating before the nitric you would have dissolved some of your gold even if you hadn't mistakenly added the hcl. You can't go from one acid to the other and expect to wash the acid away with water only.

qst42know said:
If you still have base metals on the bottom and haven't dissolved everything that is where your gold is, on the bottom. Did you test the solution with stannous?

1.i have base metals on the bottom and i havent dissolved everything there is a base metalls and many gold flakes
2.i have test the solution (the solution is green-blue)with stannous and is black-brown collor on the test.

Palladium said:
By washing in hcl and not incinerating before the nitric you would have dissolved some of your gold even if you hadn't mistakenly added the hcl. You can't go from one acid to the other and expect to wash the acid away with water only.

Thank you Palladium for your response.

dtectr said:
martyn111 said:
amon13 said:

To quote my Grandfather (again), "Measure it twice and cut it once."

Thats true but i its done. Any ideas?

qst42know said:
You can't do anything with the solution until you test with stannous chloride.

The ball is in your court.

Have you tested yet?
Yes i test it and the result is - black -brown color

Black/brown is a mixed test result. Dilute the test drop and try again.

If you find a purple stain under your test, cement with copper so you can get rid of the extra solution and start over.

If the color is hard to tell from the stannous test because of the solution color you can take a white plastic spoon or spot plate to test it. Place some of your solution from your gold and place a drop or two in the spoon. Let this sit for a couple of hours and then wash the spoon off with a spray bottle. If there is gold in the solution it will stain the bottom of the spoon a purple color. Note: Make sure you eliminate any excess oxidizers like nitric, chlorine, h2o2. This will interfere with the test.

Palladium said:
If the color is hard to tell from the stannous test because of the solution color you can take a white plastic spoon or spot plate to test it. Place some of your solution from your gold and place a drop or two in the spoon. Let this sit for a couple of hours and then wash the spoon off with a spray bottle. If there is gold in the solution it will stain the bottom of the spoon a purple color. Note: Make sure you eliminate any excess oxidizers like nitric, chlorine, h2o2. This will interfere with the test.

Thank you for the advice this was very useful, the test was positive.

Latest posts

Back