Platinum Recovery From Ceramic Processors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are chasing a rainbow.
But it seems you have to do it, it is probably part of your learning curve.
Did you even try to test it (as was suggested here) with stannous prior throwing time and resources to this adventure?

patnor1011 said:
You are chasing a rainbow.
But it seems you have to do it, it is probably part of your learning curve.
Did you even try to test it (as was suggested here) with stannous prior throwing time and resources to this adventure?
Unfortunately I haven't test it with stannous for Pt when i dropped the gold at first place. I am planning to do that when i remove base metals and make AR solution at the end. But...there are problems. I removed the most of base metals with nitric and still there is a brown mud floating around, maybe mix of metastannic acid and iron chlorides and it is so hard to filter...I even try to replace regular filters with coffee filters, and the filtering is so slow...several minutes for one drop of solution. This brown mud is giving me much troubles for filtrating, I hope I will finish soon, and incinerate the powder, boil in HCl, make AR solution and test it with stannous. I think that I made a mistake when i had stannic chloride from AR in the powder, I could use alcohol to solute the stannic chloride (which is made when tin is in AR solution) and filter the rest, that way I would get rid of tin before I made problems when making metastannic with nitric that is hard to filtrate. But, there seems there is not much tin there. I think that this brown mud is mostly iron chlorides that is hard to solute even with AR.

Don't use alcohol!

You can find thread about how to treat metastannic and red iron oxides (not chlorides, which are soluble) and solve problems with those. I leave it to your learning curve to find those.

solar_plasma said:
Don't use alcohol!

You can find thread about how to treat metastannic and red iron oxides (not chlorides, which are soluble) and solve problems with those. I leave it to your learning curve to find those.

Very good advice - listen to it !!!

Kurt

solar_plasma said:
Don't use alcohol!

Ok, thank You very much. For metastannic the incineration will convert it to metal, then HCl will dissolve it. I will take a look for red iron oxides..I had once the same problem when I processed ceramic processors with AR, overheating AR solution creates iron oxides. I will try to find solution on the forum.

Keep alcohol OUT of the lab completely - there is NO use for it in refining

mixing alcohol with acids that have had metals dissolved in them &/or treating the salts/oxides of metals (with alcohol) that don't dissolve with the acid can create explosive compounds - some of them can explode under there own weight & when wet like silver fulminate ( one example)

Kurt

kurtak said:
Keep alcohol OUT of the lab completely - there is NO use for it in refining

mixing alcohol with acids that have had metals dissolved in them &/or treating the salts/oxides of metals (with alcohol) that don't dissolve with the acid can create explosive compounds - some of them can explode under there own weight & when wet like silver fulminate ( one example)

Kurt
Thank You, I was thinking to add alcohol to powder with stannic chloride, not acid. But, You are right, I will not use alcohol at all, thank You again for advice.

Incinerating stannic is one way to go and the most common. Another thread tells about dissolving it by NaOH, which worked fine for the operator. I don't know yet, which one is less work. A good read for sure.

I finally managed to filter the solution, I've done it with multilayer toilet paper, it was fast and all powder is in it. Tomorrow I will dry it, burn it and I will make AR solution and test it with stannous. I hope that carbon from burnt paper will not cause some problems in AR solution.

If you burn (incinerate) the paper properly there should be no carbon left. Carbon can absorb gold chloride from solution.

Göran

The only question you have to ask yourself from an engineering standpoint is why platinum? There's your answer!

Palladium said:
The only question you have to ask yourself from an engineering standpoint is why platinum? There's your answer!

Whilst in this particular context I'm with you, do remember that there are plenty of applications of precious metals especially in server equipment that you look at and say "why??!!"

For example- HP's use of gold to decorate high end motherboards. From an engineering perspective it makes absolutely no sense at all! 8) 8)

From an engineering standpoint it makes perfect sense. Its a high quality product that requires a high level of protection. Cost is not the objective as much as functionally. The added benefit and cost are passed on to the consumer. From their a company can decide if it makes profit. From the engineers view its not about the money but the function of the product. In this instance platinum makes no sense cost or functionally wise.

Palladium read my post mate- the word "decorate" was used- they decorate the boards- it's not used to anything functional.

This is the picture of incinerating the toilet paper filled with filtered powder. I've done it on sand. I made powder of it and incinerated again, can anyone tell me can I make AR solution with sand and ashes mixed together with powder, would it cause problems, or there is a better way?
WP_003949.jpg

Tzoax said:
This is the picture of incinerating the toilet paper filled with filtered powder. I've done it on sand. I made powder of it and incinerated again, can anyone tell me can I make AR solution with sand and ashes mixed together with powder, would it cause problems, or there is a better way?

Why in the world did you do your incineration on sand ? --- You have just complicated your recovery processing !

You should do your incineration in a 300 series (non-magnetic) stainless steel pan

When I incinerate my filter papers I start in a SS kettle with a lid on it (so paper doesn't float off in the rising heat) because of the lid on the kettle the paper does not reduce to ash but to carbon instead --- once the paper is reduced to carbon it can be crushed down to a fine powder which is then put in a SS fry pan with out the lid to reduce the carbon to ash

Kurt

kurtak said:
Tzoax said:

Why in the world did you do your incineration on sand ? --- You have just complicated your recovery processing !

You should do your incineration in a 300 series (non-magnetic) stainless steel pan

When I incinerate my filter papers I start in a SS kettle with a lid on it (so paper doesn't float off in the rising heat) because of the lid on the kettle the paper does not reduce to ash but to carbon instead --- once the paper is reduced to carbon it can be crushed down to a fine powder which is then put in a SS fry pan with out the lid to reduce the carbon to ash

Kurt

Thank You, the wet papers was very wet and heavy, I had to dry off it first. Because there was much water inside papers I thought it would be best to make it dry first on a electric hotplate with sand. After 3 hours papers finally dried off, then it was too late to replace it because some parts started to red glow and I left it until all turned to carbon. I haven't consider that sand will make some problems after in AR. So, now I have mix of sand, ashes and powder.

If these were the fiber type MMX CPU's there is some type of mmlc on them that can contain traces of Pd.

lanfear said:
If these were the fiber type MMX CPU's there is some type of mmlc on them that can contain traces of Pd.
Thank You, these are all ceramics, and even those AMD processors (socket 462) and K6 that contains palladium and platinum in MLCC was removed before processing.

Latest posts

Back