Platinum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry goose,Ill take the time to write it.Test with standard stannous,only you are looking for a brilliant red result instead of dark purple/black with gold.

GoldSilverPro,

I apologize to you for the question, but was in a position to purchase some supposed platinum and needed a quick answer to test the substance. Now that the opportunity has passed, I am going to search the site.

Thank you Alone, but I have a solid object. How would you use stannus on it?

I may be wrong but I think you would put a drop of nitiric on it, let any reaction stop then test the drop for PT with StCl.

You could use AR and then stanus.
But as far as non-destructive tests, I am not sure. That is unless you have XRF.
There are some cheap electrical type testers, but I am not sure how good they are.
You could use a small torch, get it yellow hot in an oxidizing flame, and when it cools there should be no discoloration if it is platinum.

I used my Mizer gold tester, it would not test, but the Mizer would not default like it does on other metals, it just sat there. Tried a 14k piece and it worked fine. The ring again and it just sat there.

I will try the torch tonight

Thanks

Goose, you could do a scratch test,thats about the least destructive.Just scratch as small of an amount as possible onto a stone and test from there.Heres to hoping its platinum(holding up bud light).

Thanks Alone and GSP.

I will purchase the needed items and be ready for the next time.

Happy Gold Processing

Goose

Back