PMB instead of SMB??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crockett

Hi all,

i'm new to the site and new to pm scrap recovery.

I have my first batch of fingers ready for removal. i was just wondering if potasium metabisulphate will work instead of sodium MB. that's all the wine makers have in this area.

thanks for the help and a wonderful site.

I haven't used it, but it should work fine. In many cases, sodium and potassium chemicals are interchangeable. PMB is 1.17 times heavier than SMB, however, so it will take 1.17 times more PMB to do the same amount of work. The formula weight of PSB is 222.31, whereas that of SMB is 190.13.

i'm new to the site and new to pm scrap recovery.

I have my first batch of fingers ready for removal. i was just wondering if potasium metabisulphate will work instead of sodium MB. that's all the wine makers have in this area.
Yes it will work just as fine as smb,I have used it when I used to use smb and would run out.You can usually find it at a beer or wine making supply store.
You can always make smb out of it.
Johnny

thanks for the quick responses.
the potasium is all tha wine beer makers carry here.
just making sure before trying it, don't like the idea of mixing stuff before checking first.

Again thanks for the fast help.

hopefully a button will be born tomorrow. :lol:

Crockett said:
thanks for the quick responses.
the potasium is all tha wine beer makers carry here.
just making sure before trying it, don't like the idea of mixing stuff before checking first.

Again thanks for the fast help.

hopefully a button will be born tomorrow. :lol:

If there is Platinum in the leach, Potassium salts should not be used as they will form a nearly insoluble salt that will precipitate with the Gold. It will show up as red crystals.

I found a nitrite test kit i came across somewhere. It has about 200 1 gram test packets filled with

50 % Ferrous Ethylenediammonium Sulfate
50 % Potassium Pyrosulfate

Would that work as a precipitant ?

Palladium said:
I found a nitrite test kit i came across somewhere. It has about 200 1 gram test packets filled with

50 % Ferrous Ethylenediammonium Sulfate
50 % Potassium Pyrosulfate

Would that work as a precipitant ?

http://books.google.com/books/download/Standard_methods_of_chemical_analysis.pdf?id=gZEAAAAAMAAJ&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U2chXpq4xnFVRq5TKmyUKS3hGUgng

IF its binary then use just the potassium sulfate.
Its they are mixed already,then be careful,the FES is flammable.
Johnny

Latest posts

Back