PMG metals in Sterling?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinkaty

How much of the PMG group of metals can one expect to see in Sterling Silver? Are there any types of Sterling that have more, or less? I figure rings may have more than say flatware or bowls and the like but tha's just a guess.

Lastly, I figure that to percipitate pallidium from my 200 oz's of Sterling that less than 5 grams would be necessary. Anyone want to sell me 5 grams? Such a small amount doesn't seem available anywhere I've searched. One place had 25 grams for $22+shipping.

The only hint I've found dealing with quantity needed said "only a few drops of the solution would be needed", but they didn't give any idea of the volume of silver nitrate they were dealing with.

Mike

Mike generally you won't find PGMs in sterling scrap, there are exceptions such as plated items and these days I've seen rhodium, platinum and palladium in use on jewellery. When people talk of PGMs in silver it's usually from the inquartion process where the silver acts as a carrier of them and they use the silver cell to collect them as slimes in the anode bag.
I'm not sure about the reference to palladium precipitation, nearly all PGMs will only precipitate from very concentrated solutions, and if you had Pd in 200 ozs then the Pd will cement out with the silver.
I'm going to suggest more reading to get the processes firmly fixed in your mind, the chemistry does get confusing and I fear you may be getting ideas mixed up but I'm sure you will get things right just keep reading.

nickvc said:
Mike generally you won't find PGMs in sterling scrap, there are exceptions such as plated items and these days I've seen rhodium, platinum and palladium in use on jewellery. When people talk of PGMs in silver it's usually from the inquartion process where the silver acts as a carrier of them and they use the silver cell to collect them as slimes in the anode bag.
I'm not sure about the reference to palladium precipitation, nearly all PGMs will only precipitate from very concentrated solutions, and if you had Pd in 200 ozs then the Pd will cement out with the silver.
I'm going to suggest more reading to get the processes firmly fixed in your mind, the chemistry does get confusing and I fear you may be getting ideas mixed up but I'm sure you will get things right just keep reading.

Well, here is what I was reading.
http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88:silver-refining-first-stage-pt-1&catid=56:silver&Itemid=74

Mike

nickvc said:

Another question - When dropping gold with SMB, will the PGMs drop with the gold? From what you say I guess not?

I just didn't know if there would be enough PMGs in 200 oz of sterling to be concerned or not. In any event, if I did electrolysis on the dropped silver that would get rid of the PGMs from the silver. I guess I could do a test on the slime in the anode bag afterwards (still need DMG to do that though).

Mike

mikeinkaty said:
nickvc said:

Well, here is what I was reading.
http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88:silver-refining-first-stage-pt-1&catid=56:silver&Itemid=74

Mike

Samuel is refining silver that has been used in the inquartation process, and would have picked up any PGMs form parts of rings and solders used in karat jewelry, as well as in some white golds. It is definitely not from sterling objects.

Jim

mikeinkaty said:
How much of the PMG group of metals can one expect to see in Sterling Silver? Are there any types of Sterling that have more, or less? I figure rings may have more than say flatware or bowls and the like but tha's just a guess.

Lastly, I figure that to percipitate pallidium from my 200 oz's of Sterling that less than 5 grams would be necessary. Anyone want to sell me 5 grams? Such a small amount doesn't seem available anywhere I've searched. One place had 25 grams for $22+shipping.

The only hint I've found dealing with quantity needed said "only a few drops of the solution would be needed", but they didn't give any idea of the volume of silver nitrate they were dealing with.

Mike
They have gotten very good at purifying silver in the last 100 years, or more. Unless you're running 10s of 1000s of ounces of silver, you won't end up with much gold or PGMs. I'm thinking 4metals mentioned a large setup before that was getting an oz or two of gold in about 10,000 oz of silver. PGMs would surely be less than gold.

Great! One less thing to deal with.

I did have a few rings that had a tiny bit of gold plate. That's in the cornflake jar now. Starting on my 2nd pint of cornflakes.

I did call the company that has the pints of Nitric (forget its name) and the guy that answered was one of the owners. It is a 3 person business - Mom, Pop, and Son. He said it takes them a couple of weeks for them to get stuff out. Real nice guy. We chatted a bit till I figured he needed to get back to work.

Mike

Latest posts

Back