Polishing Sweeps

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunitman123

I've been sending my polishing sweeps out for many years now, but I've come to understand that there is a process by which you can do it in a small shop. If anyone has any experience please guide me. I dont have a very large shop so if i could make more by refining the sweeps myself, why not?

There is a link on my signature line to a book by Hoke. I think it is exactly what you are looking for.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Claudie read Hoke, sweeps are not the easiest material to refine so my advice would be to start with your bench sweeps / lemel after reading the book and fully understand the processes. Make sure you read the safety section here on the forum as the chemicals you will be using can be dangerous and also make sure you dispose of the spent solutions properly.

I processed polishing wastes routinely (I served the jewelry industry for years) and have posted on the subject. It was some time ago, and I do not have a link for you, but you may enjoy success by doing a search.

Polishing wastes (including filters) are a little tricky to run, and require incineration prior to any acid processing. I cover all of that in the posts I made, as does Hoke, in her book. Do ignore her admonition to "toss on gasoline freely" when you read her instructions. I'm not convinced she ever gave that a go---otherwise she most likely wouldn't have lived to write her (excellent) book.

Harold

Latest posts

Back