Poor CPU yields

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumice

I have done 3 batches of ceramic CPU's. Very disappointing yields everytime. I have very good results with card fingers in AR, 2.5-3 grams/pound. And reverse electroplating of pins always exceeds my expectations.

My last batch of CPU's was 60 Intel i960's. Just wondering how much gold to expect from this batch? I only got 3.2 grams from these 60 CPU's. This seems very low does it not? As I said it was only my 3rd try and I am not sure what to expect. If CPU's are apparently so good I was expecting alot more for all the trouble. Is this normal? Or am I way short? I am sure I disolved them all the way this time but still very poor results I would say.

Just looking for some opinions on what my yield should be for these 60 Intel i960's??? Thanks...

Sorry, I also should mention the 3.2 grams does not include the lids, just the chips so far.

Sounds really low to me.

How did you go about digesting them and were they the small Intel 386 sized i960's or the Intel 486 sized ones?

What was the actual starting weight, lids and all?

Steve

Hi steve, I used AR to digest the chips and they are the bigger 486 size. I did not wiegh them unfortunatly, but I can wiegh one and figure out what they weighed all together if that helps.

As I said I do really well with fingers in AR. But I am kind of going on trial and error with the chips in AR. I read all I can on the forum and your websites, as well as Hoke, and have 4 of your videos. I know what I should be doing, but I just cant get what I should be out of chips for some reason? I would be suprised if I am not totally digesting them because there is nothing really left accept ceramic and I get no more signs of nitric reacting. And the last batch I am talking about I threw in a few pieces of fresh chips over night just to make sure all the nitric was used. I am not sure what the problem is???

Pumice said:
I used AR to digest the chips and they are the bigger 486 size.

Did you give them a dilute nitric bath at first to digest base metals and Ag, or did you go straight to AR with them? Oh and 16-19 of the larger i960's equal a pound.

Pumice said:
And the last batch I am talking about I threw in a few pieces of fresh chips over night just to make sure all the nitric was used. I am not sure what the problem is???

If you threw in a few new cpu's, over night after digestion, you likely cemented out a fair portion of your values as black powder due to the base metal in the cpu's.

Latest posts

Back