poor man's HCl: produce from rock salt; 12 v. DC

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernie,
Ya it is a very exothermic reaction. Industrially they are called "HCl ovens". I am hoping the reaction can be done with only small quantities. I will set something up such as a flash from a camera to flash in the chamber intermittently (which aparently is all that is needed to make them combine), consuming the small amounts of Cl2 and H2 produced from the electrolysis. It will be a bit of trial and error. The HCl gas is supposed to be so attracted to water that it will actually make a partial vaccuum in order to dissolve itself. There will be more free H2 and this vaccuum, I'm hoping, will pull the excess H2 into the reaction chamber (which will be right above the anolyte). I am also hoping that the over pressure of H2 in the catholyte half cell will also prevent the HCl gas from getting over there.

Hi,
Glad you are aware..Maybe invent an engine to run on it and the exhauste
will be HCL!! We have materials if you know which ones to use to build such a thing! That would kill two birds with one stone!! Probly make alot of usefull heat also!...Good luck maybe have someone else-chem engineer or like person to advise of problems....Be safe...Bernie

I like that idea!! An H Cl engine.
Hmm. something to think about in the furture.
Maybe the energy released can be used as some of the power for the electrolysis.

omg,
Guess you'll have to put a generator on it. With some serious thought and some good luck i think you could do it!...I can help on generators not chem. engineering..I rebuilt them for 28 yrs.....Bernie

Latest posts

Back