Precipitated White Not Brown Mud-Looking for Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geo said:
from my experience with cell boards, the gold plating is very thin. its used for shielding against radio interference. any process, whether you remove base metal with nitric or AP will cause the gold to break up into small particles. a heat gun will get the boards hot enough to make the components come loose, if you have time to deal with them one at a time. cell boards are problematic because there are so many different components and they are all small and hard to deal with (for me anyway). im sure that a lot of members will disagree, and i understand, but i have dealt with enough dirty solutions that i think i know what to do with them, but i run the whole board through AR. at least 2 pounds at a time. the first solution gets saturated with base metal and more hcl and nitrate will not react even with heat. i turn off the heat and allow to cool and carefully decant to another container and add a little salt to precipitate silver chloride and test for gold.normally its barren of gold so in the stock pot it goes. then another AR, this time the base metal is all but gone and the solution is very positive for gold.i proceed the reaction until no more action and then turn off heat and let it cool. test,filter and precipitate the gold with a final wash of the material with hcl/Cl just to be sure.like i said, im sure there are some members that will find fault with this and thats ok, it works for me and im sure to get the gold and silver.all the components thats left are clean (like chips) and i process them separately. there are a couple of steps im sure i didnt mention (like washes and rinses) and im not recommending anyone do this, im just saying that theres more than one way to do things.

Thanks Geo but not cell boards...rolled gold/plated pocket watch/jewelry.

yea, i posted on the wrong topic. sorry about that. :oops:

but in my defense, i have a terrible head cold ive been fighting for a few days. :cry: this cold medicine has got my head swimming alot for the past couple of days.

Geo said:
yea, i posted on the wrong topic. sorry about that. :oops:

but in my defense, i have a terrible head cold ive been fighting for a few days. :cry: this cold medicine has got my head swimming alot for the past couple of days.

No sweat! HOpe you feel better. BTW we are getting things under control thanks to your posts. I'll post pics as soon as I get things more consolidated!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back