Precipitating Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A particle size of .1mm is still of a fairly large size. I would still doubt that AR would dissolve all the gold in the presence of 20% silver. I assume that what you processed didn't have that high of a silver content. And, of course, very few people have access to that type of a shredder. How did the professor produce the required fine powder?

i did not ask anyone to use the professors method---i just passed the experience ---with me it worked---i did with cpu processors and extracted 7grams of gold from 1kilo ,which made me very happy----before this professor, my yealds were 5 to 6 grams and i knew that i lost gold in ar----
i got 7grams only when i used cianide and with a method of adding to ar naoh to make hidroxides and then adding hcl to the hidroxides to make chlorides and them any reducing agent to get the gold

There are many different ways to process and it can be hard to keep up with, so if a process may work for someone in certain circumstance, can not give good results consistantly or confuse newcomers, will be hard to convince us its better than proven methods.

Elements are almost never lost only misplaced.

I have gone back to my stock pot more times than I like to admit to recover values. :wink: :wink:

There is no better advice than to save everything till you are certain you recovered all.

Gentlemen ( and ladies ):

Anybody try using sodium hydroxide for a precip'er to about Ph5.0 ? It neutralizes the nitric and in some instances, serves to frop the gold as well. Works for me. Evo

Happy New Year Randy !!!!!!!

evo--it works for me too but slightly diferrent----naoh till ph 7-8-----forming a ppt,filtering the ppt and adding to it hcl and then ppt the gold with smb----another way is filtering the ppt and adding to it h20 +h2o2----also this way gold is formed------i learned this in a book called qualitative analyses --by VOGUEL-----------------------------------------

Happy New Year to you too Evo, Thanks!

Now I am sure we both want to know about this water plus h2O2.

Arthur, does the gold form a precip this way?

Perhaps other metals in solution are oxidized, except for gold....?
Randy

i knew that you randy would ask----yes the h2o2 oxidizes the other metals which stays in solution and a beautifull light brown gold powder appears as the precipitate-----you have to add water to the ppts from naoh and then add carefullyh2o2(i use 30%) drop by drop until a violent reaction happens and the gold appears as a ppt---i use a big becker because if not the solution might spill

In one of my qualitative analysis books, it says that a gold mirror forms on the glass (they were using a test tube) when using the H2O2. Did you have the same problem?

randy,i have this book since i became a chemist(many years ago) and its specialty is metals divided in groups--there is a small chapter on pt, pd and au-
the formation of a mirror in the test tube or becker happens often----this mirror formation appears more when one precipitates pd or pt from chlorides solutions with hidrazine---

Arthur,

Purely accidentally I found that my HCl-Cl leaches from catalytic honeycombs formed a mirror on the plastic reaction vessel walls when diluted with tap water in direct sunlight. This may have been due to hydrogen absorbed by the jug during the leach process, I'm not really sure why it happened, but it did in three different jugs.

Here's how the jugs look before (left) and after (right):

[img:1676:1366]http://www.goldrecovery.us/images/pt_mirror.jpg[/img]

Notice the distinct mirror effect of the jug on the right compared to the one on the left.

Steve

I've had that happen a lot with gold. It forms a thin gold plating. With gold you can look through it and if it looks green you know it's gold.

How about checking the "film" with an ohm meter to see if it's metallic, i.e. conducts electricity.

Noble Metals Recovery said:
I've had that happen a lot with gold. It forms a thin gold plating. With gold you can look through it and if it looks green you know it's gold.

How about checking the "film" with an ohm meter to see if it's metallic, i.e. conducts electricity.
No need to test. In the first instance, it's gold, the result of using dirty glassware. Your containers must be washed until free of traces of base metals. It doesn't happen when the glassware is perfectly clean.

Harold

For starters, testing wouldn't provide the least bit of evidence if the plastic was responsible, or not. It's no different than looking at the horizon and concluding that there must be a creator. Looking at the horizon proves there is a horizon, nothing more.

Regardless of why it's there, it's obviously not a good idea to use plastic, particularly if high values are involved. I've been through that process with cemented silver----and recovered the film by incinerating the plastic. Not a good idea in the scheme of things when the problem can be avoided.

My point was directed to gold----likely misdirected in this case. Still, a film such as you described is almost guaranteed to be metallic in nature, and conductive. I can think of no other reason for a metallic appearing film to be created under like circumstances. Why it deposited on plastic I can't say, but that's the very reason why I have never used plastic in any operation that was critical. That, and the appearance of a bush-league operation. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to be rude----but I had an image to uphold, so my customers had confidence in my work. They were free to inspect my facility--so I tried to present a professional image. I don't think working out of buckets projects that image very well. YMMV.

On another board where I spend my time, one of the contributors is a retired college dean. His sig line is "You are what you write".

I firmly believe that to be the case, and also believe that the work you do represents you. I have a hard enough time passing myself off as a human being without going out of my way to prove I'm not. I highly recommend proper labware when dealing with values----as well as tried and proven methods, assuming your goal is extracting and refining precious metals for gain (I see a difference if your objective is research)----but then that's me------and I don't profess to speak for anyone but myself.

Harold

Randy: I found the priced book you were referring to, seems a lot cheaper than 116 + . Go for it. I tried some rare book sellers too, but not much difference. Phill

Goldsilverpro: In one of my books there is a test for gold using the mirror principle. I know just where it is; I'll post tomorrow. Really interesting. I too have a few books, but not the huge libraries you gentlemen have. I collect also, but the different things I find on the forum is a lot cheaper than buying books anymore. Evo

Silvergoldpro: Here is the test.

From an A/R solution, or any leached solution for that matter ( probably ): With a straight-tip glass eye dropper -

Suck up a drop or two of the solution and quickly hold the dropper horizontal, keeping the drop not more than 1/8 inch from the end of the tip. Hold it there and cause it to evaporate under a heat lamp or over a low flame without spattering. Then remove the rubber bulb. Heat the TIP over a Bunsen or Tirrel burner until it softenss, rotating it until a little round ball or sphere forms ( about 3/16" ). This will serve as a magnifier and if only 1 ppm of gold is present a film of mettalic gold will show.

Some authorities claim a pink line, or reddish thread, willl show against a dark background if as little as .95 ppm of gold is present.

I love history and researach. Ain't it fun ? Phill

Latest posts

Back