Precipitating platinum questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, new here, by I may slightly understand another issue here, oxygen sensors can pick up on the outside of the ceramic material from combustion on the upstream from the spark plugs and on the down stream from the catalytic converter.

When dismantling the sensors, I would test the outer nickel casings by polishing off the casings with aluminum oxide and then dissolve samples of that in AR and test with stannous chlorides.

Most German cars use iridium 95% and 2.5% palladium and 2.5% rhodium.

Your results might be from contamination from the iridium spark plugs used and the palladium and rhodium catalytic converter.
Of course, there is also the zinc and carbon electrodes which could contaminate the inside of the sensor.

Last edited:
Hi, new here, by I may slightly understand another issue here, oxygen sensors can pick up on the outside of the ceramic material from combustion on the upstream from the spark plugs and on the down stream from the catalytic converter.

When dismantling the sensors, I would test the outer nickel casings by polishing off the casings with aluminum oxide and then dissolve samples of that in stainious chlorides.

Most German cars use iridium 95% and 2.5% palladium and 2.5%
Welcome to us.
Be warned that if you dissolve any PGM it becomes very toxic.
Besides that can you please rephrase your post.

Nothing is dissolved in Stannous Chloride in practical terms, so I assume you use HCl, HydroChloric acid.
Next, are you talking about spark plugs or oxygen sensors?

Yeah, this forum seems to have it out for me (the machine, not you guys, I would get your snappy was, you probably get a lot a lot of wishful thinkers)

I use a lot of caution in handling my acids and primarily use electrolytic cells to refine copper and tend to leave the slime as is, so I tend to mix a lot of slime into one alloy and set it away for developing an automated process to handle the PGMs in the slime.

I merely was describing the system I used to test the types of metals on the surface of O2 sensors contaminated by the catalytic converter and spark plugs which micro fine dust from these components are carried by the exhaust gasses.

I am mainly here to develop an automated system which takes sweepings from roadways and extracting the PGMs from them.

Yeah, this forum seems to have it out for me (the machine, not you guys, I would get your snappy was, you probably get a lot a lot of wishful thinkers)

I use a lot of caution in handling my acids and primarily use electrolytic cells to refine copper and tend to leave the slime as is, so I tend to mix a lot of slime into one alloy and set it away for developing an automated process to handle the PGMs in the slime.

I merely was describing the system I used to test the types of metals on the surface of O2 sensors contaminated by the catalytic converter and spark plugs which micro fine dust from these components are carried by the exhaust gasses.

I am mainly here to develop an automated system which takes sweepings from roadways and extracting the PGMs from them.
Interesting thought, depending on the conditions of the local area it can be hard to get enough and enough concentration to make it economically viable.

Interesting thought, depending on the conditions of the local area it can be hard to get enough and enough concentration to make it economically viable.

Yeah, depending on the traffic on the road you are sampling, there can be a lot of PGMs or very little.

I plan on incorporating traffic statistics on my initial test run, but my little town sees about 100,000 vehicles a day.

I guess I should start an OP on this.

Yeah, depending on the traffic on the road you are sampling, there can be a lot of PGMs or very little.

I plan on incorporating traffic statistics on my initial test run, but my little town sees about 100,000 vehicles a day.

I guess I should start an OP on this.
I think some one did such a test.
One of those youtubers maybe?
The conclusion was if my mind serves me right, there was values there but not enough to make a profit.

Latest posts

Back